Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traditional Thai silk making

Mulberrywood

New in Town
I loved the show your tie thread. At the moment I don't have any vintage ties, so the next best thing is to try and make some pocket squares and neckties that are inspired by the classics.

At the moment we can weave solids, stripes and plaids. Noina is experimenting with marbling, handpainting and silk screening so hopefully we will be able to make some nice prints down the road.

Any ideas for patterns, colors and designs will be much appreciated. we can weave a solid. plaid or striped pattern is as little as 2 yards long.

Meanwhile here is how we make traditional shot Thai silk:

http://www.mulberrywood.com/silkmaking/howtomakesilk.htm

VoxAudi

New in Town
Oh, oh!!! Beautiful doesn't begin to do justice...

I just received (October) a tie and some pocket squares from Mulberrywood as a birthday gift and I've been trying to find where they come from.

I don't even have words to describe the beauty, shine and exquisite feel of this Thai silk. I rarely receive very much notice of my haberdashery habit these days as most people I see are used to my vintage tastes. But, the first day I sported my blue shot silk pocket square in my grey wool suit almost everyone I saw commented with delight - especially the ladies!

Thanks to the http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3340
handkerchief / pocket square thread I've been using some of these patterns for a while now and they work great with my new silks!

Thanks, David, for doing these. I'll be back for more.

Mulberrywood

New in Town
VoxAudi said:
I just received (October) a tie and some pocket squares from Mulberrywood as a birthday gift and I've been trying to find where they come from.

I don't even have words to describe the beauty, shine and exquisite feel of this Thai silk. I rarely receive very much notice of my haberdashery habit these days as most people I see are used to my vintage tastes. But, the first day I sported my blue shot silk pocket square in my grey wool suit almost everyone I saw commented with delight - especially the ladies!

Thanks, David, for doing these. I'll be back for more.

Vox Audi,

Thank you for your kind words. Do you ever wear vintage ties in the short wider style? I have been thinking about making ties in vintage shapes as an experiment in the spring

Thanks again!

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
David, I'm sure if you were to do so you would have no problem selling quite a few of them, not only here, but to the public in general as well. From what I understand, wide vintage type ties might be having something of a comeback.

Mulberrywood

New in Town
IndianaGuybrush said:
David, I'm sure if you were to do so you would have no problem selling quite a few of them, not only here, but to the public in general as well. From what I understand, wide vintage type ties might be having something of a comeback.

IndianaGuyBrush,

Thank you for the encouragement. I will need some help from Fedora Lounge members in terms of the length, width and shape of the ties.

Sadly the thrift shops in Denver rarely if ever seem to have vintage ties, so I don't have any prototypes to study.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails