Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tragedy with a fortunate ending...

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Pompidou said:
A restaurant would have to be of a not too modest caliber for me to bother taking my hat off. I figure, pragmatically, that the rules of hat etiquette died with hats. I honor the rules if they're convenient, or beneficial to me, after all, half the fun is the showmanship of it all, but I don't feel bound to them the way people were a decade or two ago or so.

I totally agree, even though it took me a while--to many near misses (or messes) convinced me! Those places where I would remove my hat DO have a coat/hat check.
How many men still tip or remove their hat when passing a lady (or if you want to get really old school, someone of a higher station) on the street? I don't do that either.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I may, I'd like to share something I've tried. I began by taking a thin, black piece of thread and threading it under the ribbon, near the back of the hat. I tie the ends together in a small knot, and use this as a "lightweight hat hook/chair lasso". Anyway, I just use it to loop around the corner of the chair, or table, or whatever suitable surface.

Then, when I'm done and don't want the thread showing, I hide it behind the ribbon, threading it around the hat so that the knot can hide within the ribbon's bow.

It's not sophisticated, and definitely not elegant, but it gets the job done. Aside from that, I'm sure that if you looked hard enough you could find belt hooks (the kind that you clamp on to the top of your door) that you could clamp onto the back of your chair.

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Neophyte said:
If I may, I'd like to share something I've tried. I began by taking a thin, black piece of thread and threading it under the ribbon, near the back of the hat. I tie the ends together in a small knot, and use this as a "lightweight hat hook/chair lasso". Anyway, I just use it to loop around the corner of the chair, or table, or whatever suitable surface.

Then, when I'm done and don't want the thread showing, I hide it behind the ribbon, threading it around the hat so that the knot can hide within the ribbon's bow.

It's not sophisticated, and definitely not elegant, but it gets the job done. Aside from that, I'm sure that if you looked hard enough you could find belt hooks (the kind that you clamp on to the top of your door) that you could clamp onto the back of your chair.

Brilliant! I like that it is totally low-tech and DIY! Might be enough for me to start taking my hat off again...

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
At a wedding I attended recently a man pushed past me and spilt his drink (whisky and coke) all down the back of my dress and then didn't even say sorry. I'm not too proud to admit I went to the loos and cried. It didn't stain though after some very welcome help from another female guest.
I don't think a "dress hook" would ever be appropriate.

Neophyte

Thanks Unca. Put enough monkeys in a room with a chair, a hat, and a string...well they'd probably tear it all apart. For me, ingenuity is bourne of EXTREME boredom and miscellaneous items.:D

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Neophyte said:

That's a great idea! What about a piece of thread of the same color of the ribbon, if you can find it? In the event the thread slips out when its hiding behind the bow, it'll be masked a bit more. [huh]

Neophyte

Well, yeah. I guess I forgot that there are different colors hats and ribbons. I was just looking at my Fed IV and the ribbon is somewhere between dark, dark brown and black. Good idea, flute, glad you caught that.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic