Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trains and travel of the Art Deco Era.

Story

I'll Lock Up

Propeller Planes

New in Town
I was too young to have experience any 'glory days' of steam railroading locally here in Australia. However, I've always been fascinated and passionate about them, that I'm privileged to be able to experience them in all their tactile glory with some tourist railways here. Although I've been busy the past year with work and study, I would consider myself a passionate railfan, of both local Australian and American railroads. When I had abit more time, I use to work as a Conductor and an Engineman for a number tourist railroads across the state, and thought I'd share some photos I've taken of some of my experiences.

Zig Zag Railway, Lithgow NSW, Australia

I've volunteered for this railway for almost a decade now, and gradually working to become a fully qualified steam fireman. Definitely a very challenging yet rewarding way to spend a weekend! I'm the one pictured firing with some good friends and colleagues

Mainline Steam, NSW, Australia

This society, known as Lachlan Valley Railway, run many mainline steam trips across the state of NSW. I mainly railfaned their trains photographing them before I started working for them as a Conductor. Also many great experiences and good times!

I'm currently sorting out my extensive photographic collection of tourist railways I've visited across Australia and also the United States. In 2006, I spent three months on the East Coast, and was able to visit places like Steamtown, Scranton PA, and Strasburg Railroad. Will post some photos once I get around to it.

Enjoy! :)

Beyer Garratts

South Africa

[video=youtube;SOx9t0MSV3s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOx9t0MSV3s&feature=related[/video]

Australia

[video=youtube;aPNSWBGTffk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPNSWBGTffk&feature=related[/video]

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
That is a beauty! Once the weather improves I'll take a ride up to Carson City and check out the museum. I have been to the one in Sacramento but it haas been years.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Following up on an article that I was reading with reference to the world record speed for a steam train engine, set by "Mallard" I saw a photo of all six engines and was quite surprised to learn that one of them was named Dwight D Eisenhower.
It's home is The National Railroad Museum in the United States. The locomotive was renamed General Dwight D. Eisenhower after World War II. Along with this engine are two London and North Eastern Railroad cars that were converted for Eisenhower’s use during the war, all three are now housed in the Museum’s Lenfestey Center.
dwight-d-eisenhower.jpg
Dwight-D-Eisenhower (1).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner