Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trick to get cotton shirts off-white?

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Hi guys,

I seem to remember there was some trick to get white cotton shirts to become an off-white color. Something with rinsing or washing with tea or similar. Anybody knows a recipe? I googled and also searched the forums but didn't find anything.
Thanks in advance.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Yes, tea has for years been the choice of costume designers when they want to age something or tone down a too-bright color. It's very simple to do. Get some cheap tea (not herbal, the real thing), and brew it very strong. Then you can either soak the material in a basin for however long you want, or you can just dump the tea into the washing machine and let it go through the cycles. Let us know what happened.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Thanks. Yes, the recipe I was talking about was what the costumer designers use. I'm just wondering how much of it I should use. I don't want it to look like it's just dirty, so the question is how much is too much. I'm also wondering if it will come out in every wash or if it's something more permanent? Do you know?

Thanks again.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
There is no true formula to the amount of tea to use, as most all tea is different. You can try it rather weak to start and then repeat if you want it to have more color. You usually use a vinegar/water solution to lock the color in too.

Bugsy

One Too Many
In my experience, the tea stain is pretty well permenant. Just keep in mind that the amount of color the garment will soak up depends on the material from which it's made. Man-made fibers do not that well, whereas cotton is perfect for the job. There is no real recipe. Why don't you experiment with an old undershirt or handkerchief to get the idea?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I've got very good results using coffee rather than tea. Before I put in the shirts I add salt to the water to lock the dye.

I do this a lot as off-white shirts are hard to find.

Last edited:

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Thanks everybody. I will give it a try. So coffee gives pretty much the same effect?
Mario, can you post pictures of your off white garments that you colored using the process?

By the way, the material of what I want to color is 100% cotton.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran