Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tropical Kit

stevechasmar

New in Town
I am a writer based in Southeast Asia for some 25 years now (originally from San Diego) and have an interest in acquiring and wearing vintage clothes made for tropical climates. My interests run from colonial wear -- what was being worn by the colonials in British, French and Dutch Southeast Asian colonies, as well as the American Philippine Islands -- to clothing designed and made for men living in the American Deep South, with its steaming tropical summers.

I am wondering if you all can help me make a suggested list of pieces of clothing and accouterments that would have kept the tropics-bound gentleman cool, comfortable and of course, stylish. Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

All best,
Steven

cookie

I'll Lock Up
stevechasmar said:
I am a writer based in Southeast Asia for some 25 years now (originally from San Diego) and have an interest in acquiring and wearing vintage clothes made for tropical climates. My interests run from colonial wear -- what was being worn by the colonials in British, French and Dutch Southeast Asian colonies, as well as the American Philippine Islands -- to clothing designed and made for men living in the American Deep South, with its steaming tropical summers.

I am wondering if you all can help me make a suggested list of pieces of clothing and accouterments that would have kept the tropics-bound gentleman cool, comfortable and of course, stylish. Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

All best,
Steven

see the Adventurers Gear Thread on this section for the COMPLETE selection

stevechasmar

New in Town
Odd that such a thread need be posted under "Adventurers Gear" when life in the tropics consists less of adventure seeking and more of lounging about trying to keep cool...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
stevechasmar said:
Odd that such a thread need be posted under "Adventurers Gear" when life in the tropics consists less of adventure seeking and more of lounging about trying to keep cool...

Just being in a tropical location is an adventure for most of us.

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge. The Gear thread is an amazing resource. Be sure and see the kit posted by Bellytank, especially.

In Charleston...

In Charleston, we stay pretty humid and steamy, and I think we have a week of winter ( lol ), there are a few tricks to try. Here's some starting points from our experiences...

Obviously, the rules governing the uses of linens, cottons, silks, blends and light worsted do not apply. Same goes from light colors, creams or even whites. (There is a reason all of those Greeks towns are painted white - it reflects the light away, and thereby the heat!). So get those constraints off your mind.

Anything you can find vintage in those fabrics, from a 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 ounce worsted, Venetian linen, linen blends, mohair and dupioni silks are all great choices, and lend themselves to a more classic styling. Worsteds in a pick-and-pick style, or black and white sheppards check make great dressy statements. A cream dupioni silk has been favored by many a Prince of Wales in more tropical climes. And of course, you can't miss with the classic colonial tan plain weave fabrics. Finally, for a dressy suiting that keeps a crisp apperance, go with a wool mohair. Perhaps the best thing for you for everyday wear is cotton, maybe the occasional seersucker (a fabric of Indian origin) or cotton twill done in British Khaki or Stone. It'll have a little wrinkle, but that adds some character and comfort for everyday.

You may also elect to have something made up in any of these lightweight fabrics. This gives you ample opportunity to create and personalize your garment with very vintage touches. Like I've mentioned in previous posts, we elect for a more late-20s inspired, fuller cut leg lending more drape from waist to knee, and less taper from knee to cuff. This allows for more air circulation, and facilitiates the cooling of the body. (This works by moving more air faster around your skins surface, allowing moisture from perspiration to wick into the air, thus cooling you faster and keeping your more comfortable).

In neckwear, there is a reason that Southerners are typified by the bowtie. You may also want to try something like a neckscarf. This allows you to loosen the top button yet still maintain a manner of formality.

And don't forget your Panama!

Some some quick ideas.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ironic

There's a fellow called Indy Magnoli here on the Lounge, who sells new vintage suits on line to customers around the world. He's based in New Zealand, but his tailor is on Bangkok. Since it's all about measurements, you could get a nice vintage suit made by him, and be sure that your measurements were done correctly. (I did my measurements myself, with the help of my girflriend and totally botched them, but that's another story.)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
stevechasmar said:

Dead right. I think there is a clear distinction between adventuring and lounging in the tropics and this is reflected in the gear.

Alan

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Here in the desert the humidity is not a problem, but we definately have the heat. I tend towards vintage-inspired clthes, really, rather than trying to wear strictly vintage or vintage cuts. I depend on my LL Bean tropic weight trousers from April through October. I find that they do wrinkle, but have generous enough cut to be cooling, like Charleston Bows suggests. I also have both Banana Republic and J. Crew tropic weight trousers from years past, but they have both moved towards a lower rise and more fitted cut, so I don't really recommend them any longer.

For footwear, some swear by their Clark's Desert Boots. They don't have enough arch support for me, but the light suede uppers and crepe sole are ideal for summer wear. I prefer a chukka height boot to help keep out sand, goat's heads, and cholla needles, so I wear my Palladium boots a lot in the summer, though they are very casual. Other footwear options are huaraches, which have the advantage of being more presentable than sandals but still light and airy.

I wear a lot of linen shirts, both long sleeve and short. One shirt I find indespensible, though, is my Orvis Long Sleeve Flight Shirt. It is a very light fabric, does not wrinkle excessively, and is presentable under a variety of cicumstances. I wear it frequently with my Ghurka shorts. The fact that it is not khaki or earth-toned also helps to prevent the khaki overload that can easily occur.

For hats, Panamas are really the best option. Pith helmets really make the look, but I've yet to see anyone really pull it off. Otherwise a lightweight felt, but no matter how light the felt, it's still too much for out here.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Greetings stevechasmar.

You sound like someone I have prompted to ask such a question, just so I can answer...
I'm trying to get such a range of ready-made, designed-by-me clothing off the ground and up for sale- have been trying for a few years now- hinted at it many times...when conditions are perfect, it will happen...

You've just about nailed a good description of my gear:
"vintage clothes made for tropical climates. My interests run from colonial wear -- what was being worn by the colonials in British, French and Dutch Southeast Asian colonies, as well as..."

Khaki, cream and white in cottons and linens- military styling.
Much great gear can be had from the WW2 reenactment uniform vendors:
www.whatpriceglory.com for instance.
Have a look at some good examples of vintage gear, take a bunch of resource material to a local Tailor and get some made right there in BK!

This is one sample example of my line of gear:

DSCN3999.jpg

DSCN3998.jpg

DSCN4000.jpg

Soon...

B
T

cookie

I'll Lock Up
While on he Subject

Any suggestions for a pair of heritage/vintage khaki shorts for this summer Down Under???:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: [huh] [huh] .

BT the sooner that jacket goes into production the better.....

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
How about a pair of linen ghurka shorts from here.

114-3-lg.jpg

For $114.00? They have to be kidding... Anyway, there isn't any such thing as 'Ghurka shorts' outside of a copy writer's imagination. Ghurkas were (are) either in the British Army or Indian Army and (apart from dress uniform) wear pretty much the same kit as other soldiers. Those on the JL Powell site are modelled on 'Shorts, Khaki Drill, 1950 Pattern', originals of which are common enough in UK surplus shops and retail for around $30 in unissued condition and about half that in used condition.

Alan

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'll have to remember to refrain from posting any links to clothing resources in the future. :eusa_doh:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Tomasso

Tomasso said:
How about a pair of linen ghurka shorts from here.

114-3-lg.jpg

Thanks exactly what is was looking for shaped on the legs but a bit military and Irish Linen to boot!:eusa_clap

Some of that stuff on their website is awesome - I will wait for the sale time off season though.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
I'll have to remember to refrain from posting any links to clothing resources in the future. :eusa_doh:

Sorry, I didn't mean it to 'sound' like that, but when manufacturers take a basic design of clothing that is available much more cheaply (and authentically) from other sources and 'gold plate' it like that with an over-romantic description at an over-inflated price I feel it deserves comment.

If someone doesn't want to save money and get a more authentic product, he or she can always ignore such comments.

Thanks, of course, for posting the link to the resource.

Alan

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Alan Eardley said:
when manufacturers take a basic design of clothing that is available much more cheaply (and authentically) from other sources and 'gold plate' it like that with an over-romantic description at an over-inflated price I feel it deserves comment.

I do understand your point but you should understand that many on FL are interested in today's repro market. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner