Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser break on shoes

Highlander

A-List Customer
I was just looking at the Trench Coat thread, and I see it is closed. But if you look at the one picture of Gregory Peck in the Trench Coat, look at the break in his Trousers over his shoes. Couldn't be more perfect...

highnoon.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have noticed some folks get things just right, then spoil it with trousers that are too long. Some of the worst offenders are wedding guests, especially the relatives when hiring Morning suits.

IXL

One Too Many
You call that perfect? Me and my crew know how to get a pants break......measure one's inseam, and then....add four inches. We live much of our lives in BDUs or similar. :)

Deacon211

One Too Many
The military guys were pretty serious about pants break. As lieutenants, we all were inspected by our CO to ensure that our first set of uniforms were within reg, including the height of the trailing seam and break of the pants.

Naturally, that was about as good as they were ever going to fit, but the base tailors knew the regs probably better than we did, so fashion faux pas were relatively minimal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
When it comes to trousers, as opposed to jeans, a single, subtle break at the front is the only thing I can live with.

lol Seb, I was waiting for someone to ask... It's gotta be that fold right above the shoes, but I had no idea it was a thing.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It certainly is a thing. It's how the trouser hangs, and it should be a single, un-showy fold. Here's a guide:

Trouser breaks.jpg

It's the difference between trousers being too short, showing off your socks or the trousers piling up, making them look crumpled and untidy. It's not being overly fussy, it really will make your trousers look better.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
22e9085102ae051edd370d659a799877.jpg

In between those extremes is no break, quarter break, half break, and full break. Nothing worse than the "stork legs" look. :D

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It might just be me but Peck's trousers look too long or maybe its just the legs are too wide....oh God, don't tell me I've turned into a skinny jeans wearing hipster!

To me, on that photo, everything looks too big on Peck - but that's the way it's supposed to be, I imagine. It's a nice look, though.

But yeah, I can see it - even though I never really paid much attention to the way trousers fold over my shoes, one thing I never could stand is trousers that are too short. Nothing worse than when socks are showing. I hate that particular item of clothing, and with great intensity, at that.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Fanch and Sloan for the diagrams. I hate it when trousers are too short. Hate it! Didn't know it was called trouser break. Over here we have a thing called a trouser snake but that's something else....

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I much prefer longer trousers, even if that means having to cuff them a tiny bit. Currently wearing some department store chinos marketed toward skateboarders, which are simply labeled "32". No length measurement, so I take it they're 32x32. A few inches too short, but that's where mismatching socks are useful....scares all of the girls away in class when I sit at my desk...good enough.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
lol
sorry Sloan

no Monitor :) on the pale blue one, I slide down the zip a bit, on the black it only goes halfway down the heel stack, he he thanks,

BTW those use 15cm YKK zips, on the next projects I will use plastic like on the pale jeans, they behave more natural and available in lots of colors, quite stealthy when fully closed, not scratching the side of my boots

Big J

Call Me a Cab
In that picture of Peck, he's wearing 'Pinks & Greens' uniform, the pants of which really are wide (rather, they are straight legged, so they look wide to us modern boys), but in fact, they are about the same width and cut in the leg (for their waist size) as the khaki cotton uniform pants that always look way too short in photos of aircrew (who wear them without gaiters like infantry would have).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24