Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trousers with Brace Buttons

billyspew

One Too Many
Hi,

Not sure if this should be in the "Suits" forum, but wasn't sure where to try.

I'm looking for new trousers (pants) that come designed and fitted with brace buttons. I've been finding vintage ones, but I have yet to find a pair that actually fit me nicely. I have also tried modern trousers and fitting with buttons, but they just never fit right (not hanging right and the waistband not quite high enough).
So is there a manufacturer who does? I know I could go the tailored route, but that's an awfully expensive way to go.

Thanks,

Bill

Creeping Past

One Too Many
This comes up often and there are responses in quite a few threads. But searching can take time...

I've bought pairs of high-rise trousers with braces buttons fitted from Old Town and from the Vintage Shirt Co., both based in the UK. The former are well cut, fit really nicely and are made of beautiful quality fabric. The latter are good and comfortable, but lack the finish and flair of the Old Town in-house style; but they're perfectly fine and they're a good price.

These people also sell their own range of high-risers with braces buttons attached, but I've not tried them.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
For dress trousers with brace buttons, there are some US sources that can supply you based on your requirements and budget.
If you want really high waist trousers ala 1930's style, then the sources sited above, or custom, or Magnoli Clothiers, will be able to help you. Magnoli is a member here and well regarded.
You can also try one of the online mail order custom shops in Asia. There are many reviews here of them, good and bad.
Land's End has offered high rise (by modern standards) trousers with brace buttons forever. Most of their pants are sold either low or high rise.
Brooks Brothers is an obvious possibility.
Also look at the website for Ben Silver. They're in Charleston, SC, and are an old-line traditional purveyor of menswear.

Good luck. When you get what you like, please share your tale.

Well, Imadope. I just saw you're in the UK. The sources are still good, but shipping and Dollar/Pound ratios may put you off.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Good luck.

Incidentally, both the companies I've bought from have shops are located in picturesque towns — Old Town in Holt, Norfolk and Vintage Shirt Co. in Lewes, East Sussex.

Both towns are worth visiting, as are the shops themselves. Why not have a couple of days out in the heart of the countryside and put your purchases in context?

Suitable

New in Town
Consider a tailor. It may not cost so much as you think. My tailor makes odd trousers from end-of-roll pieces of cloth for less than I could pay for off-the-rack rubbish—and, yes, he makes them with an English (fish-mouth) back, a high waist, brace buttons, and everything else that I want.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
That's a good point, Suitable.

Outside London, in the Yorkshire area, for example, you might be looking at £75 for a tailor-made pair of trousers. That's what I've paid in the past year.

Suitable

New in Town
Tailors end up with scraps of cloth that are too big to throw away but too small to make into another suit or even a jacket. Many of them save these scraps up and offer to make trousers from them inexpensively. At least that is true here in Canada. Typically one gets three pairs of trousers for a fixed price—approximately $200 Canadian for the lot (plus taxes), which is about £120 right now, I believe. That assumes that you order from the odd leftover bits of material. If you choose cloth from the regular inventory, you pay a lot more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany