Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TRYING to spend my money locally!

Adcurium

A-List Customer
I made a commitment last year to do my best to avoid the 'China Mart' stores. I'm really trying my darndest to keep my money local. I shop our locally owened Ace Hardware rather than Home Depot, for example, even though it might cost me a dollar or two more. I'm trying to curb my online purchases and before I click the "Proceed to Checkout" button I do one last mental search of all my local retailers to be sure I can't buy what I need from a small local business. Last year, I discovered that there was a local business (about 2 miles from my home) that made and distributed hats to retailers. Since I was in the market for a new hat, I contacted them and expressed an interest in making a purchase. I thought buying a newly manufactured hat would be better for the economy that purchasing a 50 year old hat form Ebay (Yes, I actually had that stream of thought). I was told they didn't sell retail at the moment but would be opening a retail store (currently their products are sold nationwide, but not in Rhode Island or Massachusetts). So, I contacted them today and was told they won't be opening a retail store and my best bet was to buy a hat online. Mind you, the email didn't tell me where I can buy THEIR hats online but that the 'net' was my best bet.

For some reason, I'm bothered by this. As an attorney I completely understand distribution contracts and I know often times the manufacturer is prohibited fromm selling their products anwhere other than ___________ store. But as a consumer who has a few bucks to spend and is seeing his local economy go down the drain, I'm a little ticked. Yes, I know I can buy a hat from whatever the heck store they sell to, and that will in turn bolster their manufacturing business in my backyard but that doesn't have the same sense of "community commerce', if there is such a thing.

rue

I made a commitment to do the same thing about two years ago and luckily when I moved it made it much easier to find local retailers.

I understand your frustration about your hat situation. It would have ticked me off too.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I agree it is frustrating. I try to buy locally whenever I can, but that is extremely hard these days. I am in the military and a lot of our stuff is made in China! I purchased an American Flag patch a few months ago at the Base Exchange and it had a big “Made in China” sticker on the back of it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I made a commitment last year to do my best to avoid the 'China Mart' stores. I'm really trying my darndest to keep my money local. I shop our locally owened Ace Hardware rather than Home Depot, for example, even though it might cost me a dollar or two more.
They're both local stores as far as I'm concerned. They both employ local people and they both pay taxes (RE and sales) that benefit the local community. Ownership isn't a factor for me but if it were I would simply buy stock in the big box store so that my patronage would be supporting someone local; Me. :)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Sadly, China already owns so much of the USA, it is difficult to escape how China has it's hands into a variety of American Businesses.

A large number of American companies have been borrowing money for a long time, from China. China virtually owns the majority of Logging industry in the western part of the USA.

However, to purchase local and to keep the money local, does in my mind, mean you have to avoid Wally World, K marts, Dollar General, Family Dollar, and any other chain store that depends on their main stay of "shelf stock" items coming from China.

Buying "online" via eBay at least keeps the money in the hands of Americans, as long as you see who you are buying from.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
WalMart came here twenty years ago, and within two years we'd lost our local department store, our local dime store, our local hardware store, and various other local enterprises. So you deal with Big W or you go somewhere else -- in a town of 7000 people there aren't a lot of local options.

The problem with the big boxes is that they actually offer a very limited choice of items -- if you don't want the most popular products, you don't get anything. Last week I spent the better part of a morning driving from WalMart to Home Depot to Lowes looking for black window glazing putty. All any of them carry is the standard white, take it or leave it. That's their whole philosophy -- you can choose anything you want as long as you choose what we want you to want. Phooey.

kyboots

Practically Family
I think you are right in spending here and I have been trying the same for about five years; American Car and more. I don't want to continue to increase the trade (inbalance ) that we have. Certainly many of these items still incorporate overseas parts, but spending here keeps people employed here as already noted. I would rather keep someone employed at Walmart than in China.It is not always easy and many times there are no items made here. My Samsung TV is made in Mexico so at least I am on this side of the world.

rue

However, to purchase local and to keep the money local, does in my mind, mean you have to avoid Wally World, K marts, Dollar General, Family Dollar, and any other chain store that depends on their main stay of "shelf stock" items coming from China.

That's exactly what I do. I try to avoid all of them unless I'm desperate. We have a huge local retail environment here, so it's pretty easy, but back in Ohio it was really difficult.

WalMart came here twenty years ago, and within two years we'd lost our local department store, our local dime store, our local hardware store, and various other local enterprises. So you deal with Big W or you go somewhere else -- in a town of 7000 people there aren't a lot of local options.

The problem with the big boxes is that they actually offer a very limited choice of items -- if you don't want the most popular products, you don't get anything. Last week I spent the better part of a morning driving from WalMart to Home Depot to Lowes looking for black window glazing putty. All any of them carry is the standard white, take it or leave it. That's their whole philosophy -- you can choose anything you want as long as you choose what we want you to want. Phooey.

That makes me so mad! I hate that they dictate what everyone should buy.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

I can't recall the brand name of some window putty that you can add some paint to and just mix a small amount for color, you just kneed it with your hands to get it mixed all in and then applied it as normal.

As for Walmarts, I have not purchased anything from them for many years now, but I do go to the eye doctor that is located in the Wally World building!

I don't think I'd ever do it but once I had an idea of going to a party supply store and getting some Flags of the World stickers and then going to Wally World, picking an aisle and placing the appropriate flag of the product's country of origin on the box or package. Even though most people realize that practically everything is made in China nowadays, I think seeing all those red Chinese flags in the aisle would really drive the point home. lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Imagine how many mom and pops Sears, Montgomery Wards, Spiegel, etc...put out of business back in the day. Evil doers, all! Even earlier, George Huntington Hartford must have been as despised as Sam Walton.

rue

My issue with big chains is when they start becoming something totally different than the way they started. Am I wrong or didn't Walmart advertise that they sold things only made in America? Now you're lucky to find anything made here.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
While the choices are kinda blah, a lot of the food products and toiletries for sale there are made in the states. It's just something like a weed wacker for instance that isn't, but how often these days does that stuff have an American made label?

Remember when you could find a new television or ANY electronics that were made in the states? While American made doesn't always = quality, paying more for something dubbed as higher end means nothing. Sony comes to mind.

Chain stores weren't a bad thing until they dumped competitive locally made products as well as the brands sold at these places selling out their name and integrity to make cheaper stuff overseas. It's the opposite of progress. Noone is progressing from this besides the people at the top of the companies.
While the ultimate goal of a company/corporation is $$$. It's coming back to bite them in the @@@ all these years later when people can't afford to buy their stuff in relation to the economy.

Last edited:

Chas

One Too Many
Craigslist is an option. Or the local classifieds. I had a yard sale the other day - didn't sell anything but met some nice peeps. I was blowing on my sax and that drew a few. The only serious buy offer was for my Conn 30M. Offer denied.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For big ticket items, we try to buy products that are made in the US, Canada, the EU, Japan or other places in the world that I would consider buying items from. I have reasons for why we do the things we do, but I don't want to brush the ban on political talk. I prefer US-made; living in the rust belt almost all my life has driven home the lesson of what not having a strong manufacturing base does to a country.

As far as the retailers, most local retailers here were killed by the Kmarts of 60 years ago. The little independent grocery stores were killed by the regional chains (here it is Wegmans and Tops). We do shop at a small local health food store for much of our stuff, but their selection is limited.

For gifts and daily use, I've ferreted out the manufacturers that make things in the US. For instance, Anchor Hocking makes glassware, Lodge makes cast iron cookware, Correlle & Pyrex still make some stuff in the US, Duluth Trading carries men's jeans made in the US, etc. The gifts I request are made in the US or the areas I listed. There are some modern conveniences that I am going to have to buy that are made in other countries: for instance, when my 30+ year old food processor goes I am going to have to buy a new one, I simply don't have the time to hand grate and chop the volume of food we put up.

It takes me more time, but I read labels closely and do a lot of research on the internet. I've chosen to go without some things that I can, simply because I am not going to buy things made elsewhere.

Pompidou

One Too Many
It's been something close to a year since I've bought from Walmart. One thing I can agree with 110% is supporting the little guy and/or conscientious businesses. People over profit.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I agree it is frustrating. I try to buy locally whenever I can, but that is extremely hard these days. I am in the military and a lot of our stuff is made in China! I purchased an American Flag patch a few months ago at the Base Exchange and it had a big “Made in China” sticker on the back of it.

As long as the things that go bang and boom aren't made in china...

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
As long as the things that go bang and boom aren't made in china...

I was stationed on a Mine Hunter ten years ago and the hull design was British, the sonar was made in France, the engines were made in Italy and the propellers were made in Germany. A good concept on paper but in practice….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo