Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turner Classic Movies to Put a Fright in Fridays

Turner Classic Movies to Put a Fright in Fridays With Collection of Films from Four Legendary Horror Directors

TCM Also to Celebrate Halloween with 16-Film Marathon Wednesday, Oct. 31

What: Movie fans will be screaming with delight this Halloween as TCM presents a month of Fridays featuring memorable horror films directed by four respected directors of the genre.

When: Fridays in October.

Who: Two of the directors whose works are featured are considered among the greatest artists in cinema: Jacques Tourneur (Oct. 5), whose Curse of the Demon (1958), Cat People (1942) and I Walked with a Zombie (1943) are perfect illustrations of how suspense and terror can be built by keeping the horror in the shadows, and Tod Browning (Oct. 19), who pushed the level of cinematic artistry to a new level through such seminal horror films as Freaks (1932) and London After Midnight (1927). The other two directors featured in October carried the genre torch into the 1950s: William Castle (Oct. 12), whose films Homicidal (1961), Strait-Jacket (1964) and The Tingler (1959) elevated shock value and marketing gimmicks to an art form, and Roger Corman (Oct. 26), whose deliciously wicked A Bucket of Blood (1959) and handsomely produced Edgar Allan Poe adaptation The Pit and the Pendulum (1961) showed how quality filmmaking doesn’t require big budgets. (Complete schedule attached.)

Also: TCM will break open the floodgate on Halloween with a 16-film marathon of classic horror cinema, including a prime-time and late-night collection of films featuring Boris Karloff.

TCM’s Classic Horror Directors Festival

Friday, Oct. 5 - Jacques Tourneur
8:00 PM Curse of the Demon (’58)
9:45 PM Cat People (’42)
11:00 PM I Walked With a Zombie (’43)
12:15 AM The Leopard Man (’43)

Friday, Oct. 12 - William Castle
8:00 PM Homicidal (’61)
9:30 PM Strait-Jacket (’64)
11:15 PM 13 Ghosts (’60)
12:45 AM The Tingler (’59)

Friday, Oct. 19 - Tod Browning
8:00 PM Mark of the Vampire (’35)
9:15 PM Freaks (’32)
10:30 PM The Devil Doll (’36)
12:00 AM London After Midnight (’27)
1:00 AM The Unknown (’27)

Friday, Oct. 26 - Roger Corman
8:00 PM A Bucket of Blood (’59)
9:15 PM The Creature from the Haunted Sea (’61)
10:30 PM The Pit and the Pendulum (’61)
12:00 AM The Terror (’63)

TCM’s 24-Hour Halloween Movie Marathon

Wednesday, Oct. 31
6:00 AM The Devil Bat (’40)
7:30 AM The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb (’64)
9:00 AM Bride of the Monster (’55)
10:30 AM The Revenge of Frankenstein (’58)
12:15 PM Cry of the Werewolf (’44)
1:30 PM The Werewolf (’56)
3:00 PM The Mystery of the Wax Museum (’33)
4:30 PM House of Usher (’60)
6:00 PM The Haunting (’63)

Starring Boris Karloff

8:00 PM The Ghoul (’33)
9:30 PM The Invisible Ray (’36)
11:00 PM The Body Snatcher (’45)
12:30 AM The Old Dark House (’32)
2:00 AM Die, Monster, Die (’65)
3:30 AM The Walking Dead (’36)
4:45 AM Isle of the Dead (’45)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
You know, I've seen all of the movies on that list, but I still got excited when I read this posting. These are some of my all-time favorite movies, especially the Jacques Tourneur movies. Modern horror movies just can't compare. They have no atmospere and they're all gore. Anyone can splatter some blood around, but to truely build atmosphere and suspense takes artistry.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Let's see, I have the Val Lewton DVD boxed set:

The Leopard Man
The Ghost Ship
I Walked with a Zombie
The Body Snatchers
Cat People
Curse of the Cat People
Isle of the Dead
Bedlam
The 7th Victim
Shadows in the Dark

I have seen Cat People and The Leopard Man, also Curse of the Cat People.

I thought the first two were just about the scariest movies I'd ever seen. More so because they don't show guts and gore and splatter-fests and all the things today's so-called scary movies show.

A really scary movie/book that does not show a thing and therefore terrorizes you with what might be: The Haunting of Hill House. I am talking about the earlier movie with Claire Bloom and Julie Harris, not the newer version. And Shirley Jackson's book is wonderful.

Thanks for the Turner line-up, there are some movies on there I will want to check out, if I can stay awake all night and keep my mother at bay.

karol

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
jazzzbaby said:
Yay!!! (clapping like a little kid now)
My favorite time of Autumn are the classic spooky movies!

Thank you ~

Me too! Autumn has my favorite clothing, weather, and holiday - Halloween! I get excited just thinking about it. I can't wait for the movies to start.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Feraud -- I got the boxed set off eBay.

By the way, The Haunting of Hill House was called The Haunting in the 1963 movie and was also directed by Robert Wise, who directed several of the Val Lewton productions.

The Haunting is on the Turner Classics list for Halloween.

karol

$ally

One Too Many
Ooooh, nice line-up. You never see Leopard Man anywhere. TCM does such a good job. I like the introductions and hosts. Kudos to them.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Yah, the Val Lewton movies are tops on a lot of my lists. His trio with Jacques Tourneur especially makes up for 3 of my favorite movies from the 1940s. The Body Snatcher by Wise was also amazing. I'll definitely try and get someone to TiVo some of this for me.

zaika

One Too Many
WOW! i just got TCM today. good timing!:eusa_clap

by the bye...didn't MST3K tackle a couple of those flicks?

Feraud

Bartender
Get your dvrs ready. Fridays in October TCM is showing a slew of Hammer films.
Part 1
Horror of Dracula
The Brides of Dracula
Dracula, Prince of Darkness
Dracula Has Risen From the Grave

Part 2
Plague of the Zombies
The Devil's Bride
The Reptile
The Gorgon

Part 3
The Mummy (1959)
Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
The Mummy's Shroud
Blood from the Mummy's Tomb

Part 4
X the Unknown
Five Million Years to Earth
These Are the Damned
The Stranglers of Bombay

Part 5
The Curse of Frankenstein
The Revenge of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Created Woman
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
See the detailed schedule here-
http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=339818

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I'm so jealous of you across the pond with TCM...our TCMUK is pretty terrible. Even though I've seen all of those, and own most of them, I love having films presented to me, and I love film marathons. (I was in the States for about a year, and that was the only channel I ever watched! Robert Osbourne rocks!)

Me too, can't wait for Halloween - brings out the kid in me!

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i was under the impression that "London After Midnight" was lost.

there is a photo "reconstruction" that has been shown, but the movie was supposed to be gone.

will have to check that one out.

Feraud

Bartender
London After Midnight is lost (the reference is to the photo reconstruction) but the first post is from 2007.
My post from yesterday shows part of the current October schedule.
Enjoy!

Dan'l

Practically Family
Start of the holiday season

I love horror films. To me Halloween is the start of the holiday season (I should mention my birthday is on Oct. 31, so I'm biased).

I have a small collection of horror films on DVD. The original Universal Monsters are the best in my opinion. This past Sunday I sat down with my son, soon to be 3 years old, and we watched Abbott and Costello meets Frankenstein. The rest of the day he was coming up to me and saying, "Wolfman going to get you daddy!" I thought Abbott and Costello would be a light hearted way to introduce him to classic horror.

There's a few movies on the list that Feraud posted that I haven't seen and am looking forward to viewing. TCM still has some good moments.

Cheers,
Dan'l

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
London After Midnight is lost (the reference is to the photo reconstruction) but the first post is from 2007.
My post from yesterday shows part of the current October schedule.
Enjoy!

ouch! now i'm embarrassed. :rolleyes: i really should learn to read....better....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo