Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TV Is Not THIS Good Anymore....

barra063

Familiar Face
I don't own an all singing and dancing plasma/LCD TV. I don't care how good the picture quality is if what is being broadcast is utter diatribe. Here in Australia, free to air TV is garbage. Each of the commericial networks clone the same shows (home makeover, border security, find my missing loved one stuff). As for supposed SITCOMS, rarely does something funny come along. Everything is centred around the apartment, coffee shop, office. The actors may as well hold onto the scripts and read from the page it would be just as convincing.

Growing up I loved all the Lucy shows, Hogans Hero's, I dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, Gilligans Island, Munsters, Fury. My all time favourite was and still is Dad's Army. Shows of this calibre can be repeated 40 odd years later and still be watchable. How many of todays sausage factory sitcoms can say that.

For me TV is to watch the early morning newsy type shows like GMA or currant affair shows or documentaries. Other than that the TV is for watching DVD's like old movies or again Doco's or a series like SVU.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Widebrim said:
"Just a Bill." I show this and other episodes to my students sometimes at lunch...

School House Rock was one of the most ingenious television series ever made.
My favorie one is the Three-Ring Government.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X5I2KFENjS8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X5I2KFENjS8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

LD

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
As a boy, I loved watching Time Tunnel, The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Lost In Space, My Favorite Martian, Mr. Wishbone, Hollywood Palace, The Ed Sullivan Show, Bewitched, It's About Time, Mr. Ed. My Favorite Doll, The Addams Family, The Munsters, re-runs of Highway Patrol and The Lone Ranger, The Bugs Bunny Show, Diver Dan, and Sherrif John. Too many to fully list.

and one of my favorites, that no one ever seems to remember, My Mother the Car. :D

Chas

One Too Many
SCTV was a staple of my TV watching days, as well. Several memories of that:

There was an episode of SCTV where they spoofed "Das Boot", and morphed it into a badly dubbed European sex comedy called "Das Boobies", with Catherine O'Hara and Andrea Martin ridiculous blonde wigs, and running up and down the sub bouncing all over the place. Hysterical.

Wendy O. Williams & The Plasmatics, guesting on "The Fishin' Musician"

Orson Welles and Liberace

I was too young to watch this, but I'm a Jack Parr fan.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3zrhnMUhKzI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3zrhnMUhKzI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I loved watching the Muppets back in the day. The family would get together for it. Now we have the DVD's & our son loves watching them. The Vincent Price episode is his favorite. Of course Statler and Waldorf are his all time favorites. Smart kid. :)
Kermit-Vincent-Price-the-muppets-3118896-500-382.jpg
statler_waldorf.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
When I went back to school, I didn't bring a TV with me because I knew I wouldn't miss it. And I was right. When I get my own apartment when I graduate, I doubt I'll buy a TV then either.

The internet, on the other hand, I don't think I could live without!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany