Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TV Toons & Their Movie Origins

Which Flintstone character is your favorite?

• Fred

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wilma

• Barney

• Betty

• Mr. Slate

• Pebbles

• Bam Bam

• Dino

• Other

• None

• Total voters

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Some of you may just be aware of the "Flintstones" from the reruns on the Boomerang Network. But this series was ground breaking TV back in 1960, when it made it's premier on ABC (Sept. 29), as the first adult toon to be aired on primetime TV. The show ran for 6 successful seasons and has been compared to the Honeymooners for it's characters, and working class sensibilty. Many famous folks made guest appearances including Tony Curtis (Stony Curtis) and Ann-Margaret (Ann-Margrock).

[YOUTUBE]VSUIe6clDNE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]i7usOLX7hok[/YOUTUBE]

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Perhap's the second primetime Hanna Barbera toon would have been a more viable topic of discussion. The "Jetsons" was inspired by the Blondie movies from the late 30's and early 40's, which were based on the comic strip of the same name, right down to the hapless, milquetoast salalryman father (Dagwood/George), two kids (Cookie & Alexander/Judy and Elroy), a tyrannical boss (Mr. Dithers/Mr. Spacely), a dog (Daisy/Elroy) and a spendthrift mom (Blondie/Jane) played by Penny Singleton.

[YOUTUBE]KbmbJWRdOv4[/YOUTUBE]

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for sharing this. I used to watch the Cartoon Network and Boomerang showings of the 1990s and early 2000s. I knew the Flintstones was somewhat based on an earlier sitcom (Honeymooners), but I didn't know the Jetsons origins until now. I can see the Blondie similarities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner