Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweaking the Dobbs

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I put a deeper diamond crease in this Dobbs and pinched and side dented it more sharply, plus adding more swoop to the brim. I love it now. I forgot how much fun steaming and shaping was. I really believe I'll be in fedoras much more now, deciding that lower crowned, tighter pinched, and lower swoop is the style I feel comfortable in. The ghost of the old wider ribbon defies any amount of sanding, steaming, or other manipulation. Someday, more variety in the collection, if I don't feel the need to give'em away!

WAY BEFORE RIBBON COLOR CHANGE:
jngedsa.jpg

BEFORE:
458659412_1600844182_0.jpg

AFTER:
461427233_1611436509_0.jpg

461426946_1611435444_0.jpg

dean

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Aren't fedoras great? I too love how you can form and reform them so many different ways.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I did the same thing to a coupla my hats, one a Dobbs. When I get home to my home computer, Ill post a pic. Yes, changing the shape of a hat can do wonders for both your, and the hat's, morale.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here's the hat I was referring to above. It started out as your average 2" brimmed Dobbs that has been seen a million times in its original form:

0308091553.jpg

Here it is after I reshaped it. Notice the tighter pinch and the c-crown. I did this to see just how stove-piped I could make the sides:

0308091558.jpg

Here it is on my head, with the crease returned to its original center dent. What the c-crown did to the sides was a little extreme for this short-brimmed hat, imo.

meindobbs090109-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80