Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Aeros in two months

Solo

Familiar Face
I thought my board racer I purchased recently would be the only leather jacket I would grow old with. Then, I stumbled upon this BL and size was literally 1/2" larger on the body and 1.5" shorter on the sleeve and back than my BR, so decided to give it go. The leather is Russet Vicenza with amazing hues and grain. Never really thought I would like Russet, but I am really digging the color more so than my dark seal. I am not sure if I can pull this off as well as BR as I land on more conservative side. The added coin pocket changes the character of BL dramatically, and makes it look more like a toned down perfecto. I am also not sure if I could benefit from 1/2" longer length. My BR is 25" and this one measures at 22.75" according to Aero sizing. I'd love to hear some thoughts on the fit and style from those who are familiar with this model. Photos always make it look more proportionate than it is in real life, but I love the color and the texture. What do you all think? I am attaching a photo of BR as well for comparison.

BL_1.jpg
BL-2.jpg
BL-3.jpg
BL-4.jpg
BL-5.jpg
BR-1.jpg

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Two Aeros in a month is about typical for me, some months... lol. Usually right when I buy one I've been eyeing, immediately after pulling the trigger I find a great deal on one, or another one that I just have to have. It has gotten ridiculous, honestly.

It looks like the fit of your BL is excellent. Is there a discolored spot on the back, or is that just in the photo? The CR looks good too, although to really be sure about that we'd need to see a pic with the jacket open and your shirt tucked in, to see how it is with respect to your belt line. You can also zip it up and sit down straddling a chair like you're riding a motorcycle , and if your legs push it up, then it's too long, and if you can see your wrist bone the sleeves are too short. The sleeves on this look fine, but I can't tell where the hem is. Likely also fine, though.

Nice pair!

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought my board racer I purchased recently would be the only leather jacket I would grow old with. Then, I stumbled upon this BL and size was literally 1/2" larger on the body and 1.5" shorter on the sleeve and back than my BR, so decided to give it go. The leather is Russet Vicenza with amazing hue and grain. Never really thought I would like Russet, but I am really digging the color more so than my dark seal. I am not sure if I can pull this off as well as BR as I land on more conservative side. The added coin pocket changes the character of BL dramatically, and makes it look more like a toned down perfecto. I am also not sure if I could benefit from 1/2" longer length. My BR is 25" and this one measures at 22.75" according to Aero sizing. I'd love to hear some thoughts on the fit and style from those who are familiar with this model. Photos always make it look more proportionate than it is in real life, but I love the color and the texture. What do you all think? I am attaching a photo of BR as well for comparison.

Both look great on you. KEEP

Solo

Familiar Face
Two Aeros in a month is about typical for me, some months... lol. Usually right when I buy one I've been eyeing, immediately after pulling the trigger I find a great deal on one, or another one that I just have to have. It has gotten ridiculous, honestly.

It looks like the fit of your BL is excellent. Is there a discolored spot on the back, or is that just in the photo? The CR looks good too, although to really be sure about that we'd need to see a pic with the jacket open and your shirt tucked in, to see how it is with respect to your belt line. You can also zip it up and sit down straddling a chair like you're riding a motorcycle , and if your legs push it up, then it's too long, and if you can see your wrist bone the sleeves are too short. The sleeves on this look fine, but I can't tell where the hem is. Likely also fine, though.

Nice pair!

The discoloration on the back is actually rain drop. The jacket doesn't push up when I sit down, but my feeling on the BL is a bit too short or cropped compared to the board racer. Two completely different style, though, I guess. I assume cross zippers are supposed to worn slightly shorter. Here's the photo with the jacket open showing the belt line. I think the sleeves are perfect, although they do crop up when I bend my elbow.

One observation I have is that although this is the STF version (super tight fit), the arm holes are still pretty low compared to the Board Racer and the actually upper arm portion of the sleeves are very wide. Only the lower sleeves taper slim. This creates a totally different look, in my opinion, that is neither good or bad, just different. I also notice that the jacket wears differently from other cross zip because the overlap is fairly large, and the zipper runs pretty straight instead of angled. This jacket seems to wear much better zipped up.

BL.jpg

NZJono

One of the Regulars
I thought my board racer I purchased recently would be the only leather jacket I would grow old with. Then, I stumbled upon this BL and size was literally 1/2" larger on the body and 1.5" shorter on the sleeve and back than my BR, so decided to give it go. The leather is Russet Vicenza with amazing hues and grain. Never really thought I would like Russet, but I am really digging the color more so than my dark seal. I am not sure if I can pull this off as well as BR as I land on more conservative side. The added coin pocket changes the character of BL dramatically, and makes it look more like a toned down perfecto. I am also not sure if I could benefit from 1/2" longer length. My BR is 25" and this one measures at 22.75" according to Aero sizing. I'd love to hear some thoughts on the fit and style from those who are familiar with this model. Photos always make it look more proportionate than it is in real life, but I love the color and the texture. What do you all think? I am attaching a photo of BR as well for comparison.

View attachment 145479 View attachment 145480 View attachment 145481 View attachment 145482 View attachment 145483 View attachment 145484
That BL is superb. Great fit and colour. I’m thinking of a Royale in either Russet Vincenza or Goat. How is the weight of the Vincenza?. I understand it’s one of the lighter Aero leathers?.

Edward

Bartender
Yes. Any longer and it would be too long - it's spot on as is. Mine sits exactly 'there' on me, and it's about an inch longer, from memory, than the 30s HB. The cafe racer style that the Boardracer apes have always tended to be noticeably longer than other bike jackets. I suspect it's because while the cross zips were designed with the rider sitting upright in mind (think: Harley / Indian riding position), the cafe racer jackets were based on the top half of the early one-piece leather racing suits, and had the riding crouching over the tank in mind, hence were cut a little longer to allow for back coverage when the bottom hem rode up a little.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
And so it begins.... you're still in the "early stages". Let us know when you reach double digits in the jacket count. Still... well done! Both jackets are stunning and look great on you. Wish my B.L. fit as well as yours does.

Worf.

Solo

Familiar Face
That BL is superb. Great fit and colour. I’m thinking of a Royale in either Russet Vincenza or Goat. How is the weight of the Vincenza?. I understand it’s one of the lighter Aero leathers?.
I don’t have much experience with goat but I’ve been really taken by Vicenza. I’ve had a few Steerhide in the past but HH vicenza is much thinner and lighter without sacrificing durability. Perfect for the west coast weather. My two jackets have slightly different weight and feel to them. My BR has lighter hand, lesser grain, where as the BL is more light true mid-weight with lots of grain and character. I guess it all depends on which batch of leather the jacket is cut from. Unless the cost is an issue, I highly recommend Vicenza.

Royalcrown32

One of the Regulars
I totally love your BL. The style and fit is just great. If I would buy a civilian style leather jacket instead of a flight jacket I would buy that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats