Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two good men killed in a WW2 M-18 Tank Destroyer this week...

p51

One Too Many
A very young guy in my WW2 living history group and another local collector I knew were both killed in the second guy’s restored WW2 tank destroyer. They were firing live rounds out of the main gun: http://www.ktvz.com/news/explosion-in-tank-east-of-bend-injures-2-possible-fatality/36082806
The M-18 is one of the few that had a working main gun, so it'd been used in a few TV shows since Steve got the main gun restored. I'm a former Army Ordnance officer and can tell you I have no clue exactly what happened but several things could have caused this. I'll refrain from pontificating until the exact cause is known. Austin was only 22 when he passed (Steve was 51 or 52). I would have expected great things of Austin later in life had his life ended so early and horribly. Steve was already a 'mover and shaker' within the military vehicle hobby and a very good guy.
This is the vehicle it occurred in, I have seen it many times and ridden on it once or twice:
tracks.jpg

Please refrain from using the, “They died doing what they loved,” shtick. That infuriates me to hear that. I’ve been with two other people as they’ve died in the past, having been killed from doing stuff they loved and was with each as they slipped away. I can assure you, it’s not the last thought they have before they go that it’s okay because something they liked killed them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy