Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two New Hats Today!

portolan

A-List Customer
I just received two new Akubra hats today that I purchased through ebay - the Snowy River and the Boss model. I have two questions....the inside of both hats says Pure Fur Felt......I have looked everywhere and can't find a definition of that...what does "Pure Fur Felt" mean in an Akubra hat? It must be a blend of something....any ideas as to what?

Also, I don't really like the shape of the Snowy River - it is very different from the shape in the picture on ebay.....the sides are curved too high and the front brim is not sloped down like in the picture. I have looked through all the threads here for an amateur's guide on how to use a handy-dandy home something to make steam and/or shape a hat. Did I miss the thread? If not, can/will someone please give me a few bits of advice on how to use or buy something that will enable me to reshape the brim? I have only watched it done once, on a hat I bought at Wild Bill's in El Cajon. He worked and worked it using a big steam machine...I promise I won't hold you responsible if I ruin the hat. I might even take a before and after picture, just to make you all laugh! The brim seems pretty stiff, but I hope there is somehow I can lower it to less of a curve. Any advice or direction to a previous thread would be appreciated. best, Phil

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hello Portolan,

I received an Ebay purchased Snowy River about a week ago and talk about an unattractive brim-shape; the seller had stuffed it into a too-small box and the thing was bent into oblivion. This hat has a lot of stiffener in it so it was holding that shape when I took it out.

Here's the easy trick: Dampen it with regular water. Steam is not necessary, in fact it may shrink things. Use a spritzer/sprayer to get a good amount of water on the brim - or do like I did: I held the hat out in the rain from a tropical storm!:D I only wet the top brim surface and let it absorb some of that water, avoiding getting water inside or under the hat in this case. I spread the water drops around with my hands to work it evenly into the felt.

When the water has soaked in some and the brim is evenly darkened from moisture, you can dab off excess and easily shape it the way you want. Then just let it air dry, occasionally trying it on to help it conform to your head shape and to adjust the shaping as it dries and stiffens back up again. It is possible to get too much water near the center and to begin to affect the sweat band and crown portion. This can cause some shrinking too if one is not careful. Takes a couple of minutes to wet and shape, a few hours to dry.

I do not know the content of the fur involved in these hats but it is course and thick. Not a dress hat but rather a toughie you needn't worry about.

G'luck,

Gene

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Phil, I believe that Akubra hats are made of rabbit fur. As for steam, you can use a pan of boiling water with the lid slightly ajar.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Felt Quality of our National Hat

Akubra ARE pure rabbit fur....FWIW...what with us having a rabbit plague in the 1950s before myxamatosis was introduced (c 500 mill wabbits) :eek: it was a great way to use up them critters...:D

MikeS

New in Town
The next best thing to a hat steamer would be something that concentrates the steam from boiling water such as a tea pot; preferably one that does not whistle. :D

At the risk of spamming you guys:

I went on a fishing trip a couple weeks ago to Montana and brought my Akubra Angler with me. After an unsuccessful romp through some rapids my Akubra was lost. After getting to shore, wouldn't you know it, my hat washes up right in front of me. This thing had spend a good minute or two completely soaked underwater. I just put it back on after a quick reashape, let it dry on my head for the next few hours in 85 degree weather and it came back nicely. There is only a slight ripple in the back of the brim which I could smooth out but it just adds character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart