Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two-tone your own shoes. Tutorial

Mr Mueller

New in Town
It was requested in the suit forum that I create a thread detailing my conversion of a simple pair of thrift store wing tips, to a stylish pair of two-tone kicks. As many of you know, it is growing more and more difficult to find a nice pair of two-tone shoes anymore, and even more so if you want a nice vintage look to them.

While rush-shopping for accessories for my new suit, I ran across a pair of older wingtip brogues in my size for $7.99 at the Salvation Army. They were in decent shape (I still need to clean up the soles a bit), and a nice shade of dark brown that would go nicely with my grey suit. As I was heading home with my purchase I thought: "you know what would make these even better? If they were two-tone..."

Altering shoe color is nothing new to me as I spent two years of my life as a costume crafts person at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival where the resident costume designer has an uncontrollable need to match the shoe color to the dress. It is, however, something fairly simple that any one of you can do at home with a paintbrush, a steady hand, some specialty paint, and shoe polish.

First. The Shoes.

4087478808_ebd970059b.jpg

The paint is called Angelus Shoe Paint. It is an acrylic base and, in my experience, has the best longevity and crack resistance of all the other shoe paints on the market.

720-04-160.jpg

I used "Vanilla", but there are several colors to choose from. You can buy it in small 1oz (which would easily cover one pair of shoes) from shoeshine express, or if you live in one of the major entertainment cities, you can buy it locally at Manhattan or LA Wardrobe Supply.

The first thing you need to do before you start painting is to prepare the surface you will be coloring. You do this with either acetone (I use acetone fingernail polish remover) or a high percentage rubbing alcohol. Simply get some on a rag and rub the finish off of the area you want to paint. It shouldn't take much. You are simply trying to break down and remove the waxes that seal the current finish in, not trying to completely remove the current color.

Next, you need a good brush. An artist type as opposed to a chip brush or house paint brush. Doesn't have to be fancy, just nice enough to not fall apart on you. I usually use a flat shader brush because it makes it easy to lay in the paint right up to the edge without having to mask off the part of the shoe you don't want painted (which you may want to do if you don't have a steady hand). The trick to to lay it on in several very light, smooth coats letting it dry 15 minutes or more in between. You don't want to brush it on so that you see the raised texture of the brush stroke. By the time you get to the 3rd or 4th layer, you should have a nice even coating. It is a bit tedious, but be patient. Take your time. Do while watching your evening TV. You'll appreciate the effort in the end.

First coat on half shoe:
4087478202_2599dbd8e0.jpg

The final step is to seal the whole thing. Angelus also offers an acrylic finisher, but I prefer a neutral shoe polish. The finisher has a tendency to yellow and look filmy. Simply polish your shoe like you would any other shoe and the wax will seal in the finish. That's it! All done! You now have a pair of two-tones to finish off your look.

4086718577_d3b239f82b.jpg

Hope this was helpful.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes, this is a good trick.
I remember, when I was a signpainting apprentice,
under my brother, we had a funeral to go to.
My big brother slapped a coat of black semi-gloss acrylic
on his boots without even removing them.
He was good.

Prompted me to add some reflex blue to my brothel creepers.

B
T

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I have a pair that my grandfather tried to make for me a long time ago. He just piled on white shoe paint and it looks clumpy. I tried to fix it with acrylic paint but his clumps were too big and too many. I kept them but the only time I ever wore them was on Halloween. I will definitely give this a try, there are always wing tips at Salvation Army in black, brown, and cordovan.

Mr Mueller

New in Town
Phineas Lamour said:
I have a pair that my grandfather tried to make for me a long time ago. He just piled on white shoe paint and it looks clumpy. I tried to fix it with acrylic paint but his clumps were too big and too many. I kept them but the only time I ever wore them was on Halloween. I will definitely give this a try, there are always wing tips at Salvation Army in black, brown, and cordovan.

You should be able to strip that paint with acetone if you want to keep those around. Wear gloves because you'll be wetting your rag pretty well for something that involved.

Mr Mueller

New in Town
reetpleat said:
How durable is this paint long term? Will lit flake off, chip off, crack, crease, or fade?

It's fairly durable. I won't say that it won't do any of those things, but I haven't had it happen to me yet. These very shoes were worn out and about in NYC on a couple of occasions, and they look the same as when I painted them (fyi NYC is ROUGH on shoes). Also, I have used this for theatrical applications on many occasions and haven't had to repaint. They say one night on stage is equal to a week of normal wear. It really is pretty tough. And because its an acrylic, it doesn't look all plastic-like like many shoe paints do.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a great tutorial! I'd somewhat kicked around the same idea (a costumer-friend did a few similar pair for Guys & Dolls last year) and thought no matter how easy she said it was, it would end up as a disaster. This makes it a lot less intimidating. Thanks! :eusa_clap

Mr Mueller

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:
Two tone shoes are great... two tone anchors... well really hard in which to dance. Interesting... tell me when the paint cracks.

Again, I point out the fact that I got this trick from working in theatre where we paint shoes for shows all the time. Often for musicals in which they dance more in one night than you'll dance all year. So it isn't untested. I merely hesitate to tell everyone that this will never crack, because there's always a chance it will due to one circumstance or another even though I have never had it happen. Personally, or professionally.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the point about the dancing that Mueller makes is that the PAINT will stay on through repeated USAGE. Dancing is an example of USAGE. I do not think his point is about those PARTICULAR shoes.

Mueller, thanks for the instructive thread. Surely we will all agree on the following propositions:
1.) Used wingtip shoes at e.g. Goodwill are cheaply found ($6 where I live, cheaper elsewhere).
2.) The paint is inexpensive.
3.) It would be fun to try the paint job.
4.) If it eventually chips a bit, who cares? You are out $6 (or less) plus the paint (the remainder in the bottle can be used for other projects, I'm sure) plus a total of 45 minutes of time.

Again, Mueller, thanks for the thread. A promising project.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marvellous thread!

Doran said:
I think the point about the dancing that Mueller makes is that the PAINT will stay on through repeated USAGE. Dancing is an example of USAGE. I do not think his point is about those PARTICULAR shoes.

Mueller, thanks for the instructive thread. .

That's how I understood the meaning to be as well Tim. An 'example' of usage - plain & simple!

GREAT THREAD and I think I echo the sentiments of most of us here who have read it engagingly, that it's a real 'motivator' to go out, buy the shoes and try it out!! Thank 'you!' :eusa_clap

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's a great tutorial. Thanks!

I'm not a fan of two-tone "gunboat" shoes; I used to see them (paired with acrylic knit "Sansabelt" pants) on paunchy, crew-cut retirees playing golf in the early 1970s. A very specific and bad memory.

It's a trade-off: sleeker, slimmer wingtip are usually too waxy and smooth to hold white paint, whereas the grainy leather of gunboats offers a better "anchor" for white paint.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
It's a trade-off: sleeker, slimmer wingtip are usually too waxy and smooth to hold white paint, whereas the grainy leather of gunboats offers a better "anchor" for white paint.

hah...thats when you whip out your fine grade sandpaper and sand the waxy too smooth area.....so that the paint stays...

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy