Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Type of hat name (yes I want to buy a new hat)

Mindraker

Familiar Face
I am considering buying a
new hat, as seen in the photo below, but I have no idea what it is called. The closest I've seen online to this is a "boater"'s hat, but I find it hard to believe that everyone in 1912 would be running around with Italian hats. Please help!
william_h_taft_01.jpg

Mindraker said:
I am considering buying a
new hat, as seen in the photo below, but I have no idea what it is called. The closest I've seen online to this is a "boater"'s hat, but I find it hard to believe that everyone in 1912 would be running around with Italian hats. Please help!
william_h_taft_01.jpg

lol lol Well, actually they were. It is indeed a boater. A skimmer has a shorter brim. A few here on the Lounge have links to different sellers that still make them. I am sure they will chime in.

Regards,

J

Topper

Vendor
Straws

There are still a few manufacturers in both Italy & England,

Black hatbands are the most common form, those with Blue/Red/Blue stripe are infact The Guards Regiment colours.

A lot of the modern ones for sale in America I believe the Italian versions. The Tesi Italian variation may be thicker in the brim than the UK Olney Version..

I believe that if it was from 1912, they would simply have called it a "Straw" the word "Boater" was not well known until about 1920 onwards. Another name popular in the USA was "Skimmer".

Though it's full real name is - "Flat brimed, low crown Top Hat made of Straw!" seriously boaters were cousins of the Topper. :eek:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
here's something I don't like about new boaters. see how the weave pattern is oval and not too attractive? On the old ones it was a lot more interesting weave, and then you get the really out there weaves.

Topper

Vendor
SHARPETOYS said:
I almost forget. Order one size larger than your regular hat size.

I would not considering ordering one size bigger unless you have an extra long oval shape. Boater are hard shells, and as shape the shape of you head comes into account.

Best is to try one one of the Vendor brand you are going to buying fist locally -if it is good price would get it there and then so you now for sure. Or once you know you hats size in "that specific" brand , then order online. Though beaware even within the same brand, I have seen hats of the same size change size depending on the production run.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I was not aware that these hats were still made by Olney as well. The Tesi Boater has been the sole source of these hats for years . We stopped carrying the 3 " brim due to lack of demand. The 2 inch brim is the best seller. As for vintage, I have about 20 of these hats from companies such as Knox, Portis , Stevens ect. They were THE hat that was worn in the 1920's and 1930's during the summer. Many of them still survive because they are so stiff.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou