Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Typing gloves?

abduktedtemplar

New in Town
i'm at a pc for most of the day at work and it never fails that my hands always get really really cold no matter whether the rest of me is cold or not. any recommendations on gloves that wont hurt my typing? no fingerless either my Phalanges get the coldest.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Howdy, I'm not a doctor, but I play one on T.V.

The symptoms you describe, sound like the first warnings signs of repetitive injuries. :eek: Since you are spending long hours keyboarding your hands and forearms are spending too much time in tension with no major movement and thus no blood flow. Thats why your hands get cold, no blood flow, no body heat.
I'll pass on the Rx that was given me.
First is to have proper form and posture at the computer! No, it is not intuitive and I suggest you do some Googling and make adjustments per the reference material and directions that you find. Too long and better explained than I could describe here.
Second, and probably most importantly you need to exercise your hands and arms during the day by taking frequent exercise breaks. Stretch and move around to increase the blood flow.
Next get several hand exerciser tools like the soft squishy balls, hand gyros and bands to build up range of motion, muscle and arterial capacity and strength. A set of push ups will do wonders to warm your hands up. Aerobic activity is highly recommended for people who work desk jobs! Get that heart pumping!
The answer is NOT gloves as this will help mask your problem and lead to further injury.
Hope that helps!:)

mister7

Familiar Face
Some gloves I like!

http://www.leatherglovesonline.com/pages2/mp1a-d302.htm

The link above is for a very thin leather glove, I have a pair and like em a lot! Not discounting any of Dr. Kildare's tips, but sometimes you really do need a pair of gloves.

Also, try wearing a hat. Your body cuts down on blood flow to the extremities if your head is chilly. Maybe a good diagnostic tip, if your feet are also cold that its not just a repetitive injury problem. Those tips are all good ideas no matter what, you dont want to give yourself long-term problems!

Good luck!

abduktedtemplar

New in Town
thanks for the thoughts yall. i will definately put those tips into action. hoping for some serious improvement cuz it really bothers me. i normally have very good posture and i thought i had my hands positioned properly for extended time at a pc but maybe not.
i do wear the hat to work but because i have a headset on the trilby doesnt really go on lol.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
abduktedtemplar said:
no fingerless either my Phalanges get the coldest.

You might give a pair of the fingerless ones a try anyway. If it's heat loss making your fingers cold, most of that's probably coming off the back of your hands since that's the broad area the blood flows through on the way to your fingers. Keep that warmer and the blood going to your fingers may feel warmer.

If your chair is adjusted so that your forearms are parallel to the ground or going just slightly downward with your hands on the keyboard, that makes a huge difference. With your arms angling UP to the keyboard, the blood doesn't flow as well. Seated at a keyboard, your heart's not pumping as hard as perhaps it should to get the blood flowing to all of your extremities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner