Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uh Oh!

anon`

One Too Many
Fail!

Especially at the prices that place wants. $750 for a peacoat, $350 for a sportcoat. $150 for a '40s tie? I don't care how little use it's seen... if it ain't got a pinup on the backside, it's not worth anywhere near that much in my book!

I'd like to think this would scare people away. Sadly, it's probably going to make other sellers inclinded to jack their prices =/

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I suppose if they can get it, more power to them. I imagine a luxury goods buyer will not know how cheaply this stuff can be had. There is something to be said for presentation i guess, and La Rosa has always had good stuff.

Still, sixties stuff is still pretty common and should not command near the price forties and thirties stuff does.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But they have the best stuff!

Like this fabulous beaded dress, on me, back when I was the manager...it was $700 and I wish I could have bought it.

l_6ed12c5a8d9b9775a5f647b3552a8cc5.jpg

'
Or this amazing black cire' satin gown, $450, and rhinestone headdress, $350...

l_432455744be49a9181953a1c1695f0c4.jpg

And sold Nicholas Cage this awesome snakeskin coat for about $1200...

1207581554_wah.jpg

I also found my husband there, but that's another story...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
(nifty stuff Miss 1929!)

The influence of Mad men is already being felt in the thrifts. 60's - or anything remotely like it - is hauled out of boxes and put on the main racks now for higher prices. And I think even at Target, many of the styles (swing coats, for instance) are starting to show more direct parentage from that era.

Vanessa

One Too Many
I feel the same way about some of the skyrocketing pattern prices. $60 for an apron pattern? $100 for a day dress?! :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
La Rosa in San Francisco was one of my favorite vintage shops. I haven't been there for over a year now, but the prices were never as bad as they are in that article. Perhaps it's simply because they have the online angle that they've gone extreme in pricing?
I've bought about a dozen 1930's ties from them in the past ($30~$40 each), 1950's jackets ($90~$120) and various other items. They had a beautiful 1930's brown belt back suit in my size about three years ago that I thought was too expensive at $450. I shudder to imagine what they would ask for it now! :eek:

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
(nifty stuff Miss 1929!)

The influence of Mad men is already being felt in the thrifts. 60's - or anything remotely like it - is hauled out of boxes and put on the main racks now for higher prices. And I think even at Target, many of the styles (swing coats, for instance) are starting to show more direct parentage from that era.

I can't complain. Sharkskin suits and other sixties have always had a bit of a following, but I might get a few more buyers now that I put mad men along with mod. Also, I think I can probably ell some fifties overcoats that are quite nice, but would not have sold in the past.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Naama said:
It looks pretty cheap, it's not really vintage? Or is it?

Naama

I guess even the experts on women's stuff would not necesserily know the men's stuff.

This is a pretty iconic style 50s jacket, done by one of the best brands, Pendleton. IT seems to be in good shape, in a rare and cool color in a big size 42.

In a nice shop in a city like SF or LA or NY this could be expected to bring about $250, maybe on a good day. So, 500 is a bit steep, but not as if they wer asking that for a mediocre dime a dozen coat.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vanessa said:
I feel the same way about some of the skyrocketing pattern prices. $60 for an apron pattern? $100 for a day dress?! :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

Tell me about it. Or when they offer 'free shipping' to compensate...Oh, $2 off an already inflated price. What-ever.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss 1929 said:
I also found my husband there, but that's another story...

How much were they asking for him? I never see anything like that around here.

In fact, I never see anything older than the '80s in *any* of the thrifts around here anymore -- it wasn't so long ago that you couldn't find anything *but* sixties stuff, and for giveaway prices.

Flivver

Practically Family
When I started going to thrift shops and flea markets in the late 1960s, they were loaded with goods from the 1920s-1930s.

I didn't know how good I had it!

But it *did* fuel my passion for the 1920s.

epr25

Practically Family
Well if everyone was looking for 60's and 70's (like the crazy 70's print shirt on their site $195.0 :eek: ) I just ousted 60-70 of those because no one would buy them. I am swimming in that era around here and have no luck. Maybe we should buy it here and truck to SF people lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy