Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UKELELE

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Before his death, George Harrison became quite a ukelele afficianado. No doubt brought on by his brief residence in Hawaii (or his former association with Tiny Tim!). He became quite good on the instrument and now Paul McCartney does a little Harrison tribute during his live performances, telling about George's affection for the ukelele and performing a number or two on it himself.

-dixon cannon

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The uke was, aside from the piano, the most popular amateur instrument of the Golden Era -- there's the whole cliche of the raccoon-coat-wearing college boy strumming his uke on the old fraternity-house porch, but the instrument was also very very popular with ordinary home folks: easy to learn, easy to store, and cheap to buy. Virtually all popular sheet music of the twenties and thirties includes uke chords, so if you play today there's more than enough material out there.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
Before his death, George Harrison became quite a ukelele afficianado. No doubt brought on by his brief residence in Hawaii (or his former association with Tiny Tim!). He became quite good on the instrument and now Paul McCartney does a little Harrison tribute during his live performances, telling about George's affection for the ukelele and performing a number or two on it himself.

-dixon cannon

HAve you looked at this Youtube video that seems to have propelled the Uke trend?
Jake Shimabukuro plays "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I've played for a few years, but can't say I have any skill at all. :( Started out with guitar .... it was too big ... moved onto mandolin .... too many strings ... then onto uke ... it was just right. Now I'm collecting old uke sheets from sales in the area. Lizzie's right (as usual :D ), there was a lot of written music produced for that instrument!

funneman

Practically Family
I can never see a ukelele without thinking of Tiny Tim.

I interviewed him several times and he always brought along a beautiful vintage uke.

He was always happy to favor us with a tune and seemed to have a great admiration for "Mr. Rudy Valee" and a real fascination with music of the golden era.

I always found him to be a polite, gentle, very respectful soul.

Play on, sir, play on.

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
I was at the Sanrio store in NYC this weekend and they had a pink Hello Kitty uke. It was all I could do not to buy it (when it comes to Hello Kitty I need twelve steps). I can't play it but I can play a little guitar and since it kind of looks like a little guitar....in the end though, my better judgement won out.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
I was surprised to see this topic on the Fedora Lounge! Hooray! It's called the "third wave" of ukulele interest.

The ukulele is a great instrument. I have four CDs out of original music composed and played on ukulele (and a few other instruments!). For the past four years I have put on a cabaret-style show in Boston called "Ukulele Noir".

You can have a poster of Tiny Tim if you want...myself, I have a poster of Marilyn Monroe with a ukulele...

oh...by the way: for more YouTube original music, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3t3Wp5_29w

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Tropical Swing

Bill Tapia, born January 1st 1908, is one of my favorite ukelele artists. He recently played a "gig" here in my area - at 101 years of age! At 19 years old he played the opening of The Royal Hawaiian Hotel back in 1927! He taught Shirley Temple and Clark Gable how to play for "the silver screen." If you ever have a chance to hear him on the CD, TROPICAL SWING, listen to the 1936 version of Gordon Beecher's, Tropical Swing. Bill Tapia, still going strong!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo