Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ummm..... is it just me.....

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
The ACLU is worse than a joke; it is, in my opinion, one of the most un-American organizations this country has. In theory, I support what the ACLU tries to do, but in actual practice, I don't agree with pretty much anything they do.

The major problem with them is their fanatical attack over anything religious. As their website states, "The mission of the ACLU is to preserve... your First Amendment rights-freedom of speech, association and assembly. Freedom of the press, and freedom of religion supported by the strict separation of church and state."

Of course, this is total bunk. First off, the First Amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...." Nowhere in that text do I see anything with regards to a separation between church and state.

Second of all, I find it quite ironic that the Bill of Rights protects our "free exercise thereof" of religion, but the ACLU continually forces people to curtail their exercise of religion - in effect, doing something as a private entity that the Government is not allowed to do. Huh? When did we wake up in Bizarro World?

And for the record, I am not a religious person. After 12 years of Catholic school, I find myself somewhere around the atheist/agnostic/humanist side of the equation - so you would think I would support such ACLU activities. But on the contrary, while I realize that religion is not for me, I have absolutely no problem with people having their own religious beliefs, and they should be allowed to express those beliefs as they see fit (Within reason; like everything else, do in moderation).

Anyway, I'm sending this news link to all my friends who are still in the Military and hope that they can change things for the better from within.

Gershomite

New in Town
I am in complete agreement with you, Capt. The 1st Amendment has come to be used as nothing short of a blanket by the ACLU under which they attempt to make back-door policy which niether the American public, nor their duly elected officials, want or need. Someone had better warn the military Chaplains of their "unconstitutional" activities before Schwartz and co set their sights on them.

The ACLU has done some good and needed work in it's history, aiding in the struggle for the rights of women and minorities, but that does not generate a public relations free-pass for the outrageous positions that they now assume.

What can you say about an organization that protects nazis, the KKK, and the North American Man-Boy Love Association (NAMBLA), yet continues to persecute the Boy Scouts?

"During the first years of existence, the Civil Liberties Bureau had a close relationship with the Communist Party"
-Source: ACLU HIstory

As the twig is bent...

Gersh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay