Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

uncowboying my Stetson cowboy hat..

MD11

Familiar Face
So I took my Stetson 100X into a hatter, AZ-TEX for a re-size/style that suits my tastes more.. I'm really trying to get a more Indiana Jones look, but not quite traditional short brim Fedora look.. Here are the prelim results, your constructive criticism and input is valued..

-Sam
315354293.jpg

315354292.jpg

315354290.jpg

315354291.jpg

MD11

Familiar Face
kabuto said:
I'll be taking in a tan Stetson and a black Resistol for the same once-over in a couple of weeks. I was thinking of getting a Fort Worth crown (sort of a boxtop with a front pinch) and brim (smooth upward roll on the sides, not a pencil roll) for the Stetston, and something along the lines of what you did for the Resistol, but perhaps with no upward flare on the sides of the brim, a treatment I think of as "Australian," although I don't have a name for it. In other words down front and back, and level (or even a bit down) on the sides.

Post pics, I'd like to see what it looks like when it's done.

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
It still looks very western; if that's the look you're going for, it works. I like narrower brims, but that's just me. That had will look great if you're a larger person (I'm not, hence my preference for narrow brims).

flylot74

One of the Regulars
I like it, I have a 30X in silverbelly in sort of the same style with the brim cut down to 3" (Yours looks like it is a bit wider brim). I enjoy mine when I want a more cowboy look than my fedoras.

By the way, would you be any relation to DC10?

MD11

Familiar Face
Roadrunnner, I am trying to get a less western look, so I may in fact trim it down further.. I'm just trying to be cautious since once its off it can't grow back on..

Flylot74, yes I am related.. I'm the new and improved version. You fly too? Flylot? ;)

I'd love to see pics of any hats that started out as western hats that are more or less Fedora like now.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
MD11 said:
Flylot74, yes I am related.. I'm the new and improved version. You fly too? Flylot? ;)

I'd love to see pics of any hats that started out as western hats that are more or less Fedora like now.

MD11, I'm willing to bet you carry boxes...... I fly, minimum trips to the airport and max days off is my motto. Which reminds me, gotta change my moniker, I'm on the 76 now, sitting on the other side of the center console......

Here I am in my converted 30X:
10xStetson.jpg

If it were mine, which it ain't, I'd consider getting really carried away with it by taking it all apart and reducing that brim width by increasing the crown height. This would involve reblocking on a tall, straight-sided block and pulling the crown down and tying it off well past the original brim break line. And I'd replace that felt band with a grosgrain ribbon and bow. I'd go at least an inch width on the ribbon, probably more. Now, that would make it look more fedora like.

But, you know, that's just me. Some would call my proposed treatment a waste of time and effort and an affront to an otherwise perfectly good cowboy hat.

MD11

Familiar Face
Flylot74, I like that.. I'll bring in the pic to my hatter and see if he can do that for me... it's the look I want, but I think I left the brim too wide! That is perfect though!

I used to fly boxes on the 11 for an ACMI, unfortunately not brown or purple.. and that is where I met a fellow that goes by the name "Fedora" on our pilot message board btw.. he may be joining here one day since I sent him the link to this place. Like you I bid quality of life, and ACMI wasn't cutting it for the wife and kids. I recently took a job flying an A320 for a start up airline which as since turned into another job for a different startup airline.. the adventure continues! :rolleyes:

MD11

Familiar Face
Ok, here's the deal.. I took a picture of FlyLot's hat into the hatter and they're going to do both my hats the same.. The one I posted above is currently a 3.25" and it's going to go to a 2.75" brim.. the other hat I have is a silverbelly 100X but it has the taller brim, so that also is going to be done ala Fedora style.. Can't wait.. When I get them back, I'll post pics here.

thanks for the constructive tips guys..

PS.. I may also get a grosgrain ribbon to switch out back and forth with it..

MD11

Familiar Face
MAB1 said:
Just don't cut too much off. 2.5 is stingy brim in my book.

actually, he said it was going to be 2.75.. That was a typo.. I'll edit it. We modeled it on a hat they had in their store that looked the way I want.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
MD11, I think the 2 3/4" brim works very well. My latest two fedoras have a 2.75 brim and they are my favorite hats. They are "Works of Art" actually.....

Here is one in steel gray to give you a point of reference:

GrayFaucet2.jpg

MD11

Familiar Face
those are very nice indeed, Who makes them if you don't mind my asking?

You can call me Sam by the way..

MD11

Familiar Face
flylot74 said:
The "Works of Art" as I call them are made by Art Fawcett. Here is a link. Best decision I've ever made was having a custom had made by him:

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/

Well, maybe that, my Maltese Falcon, and marrying my wife, but you get the idea.......

I'm actually eying a hat by him on his sight now.. funny you should mention. He does make nice hats indeed..

Sam

MD11

Familiar Face
btw.. fly, I just placed an order for one of Arts "works of Art".. I really liked the rust color beaver with the dark brown ribbon he's got towards the bottom of his limited selection.. Seeing you in one of his hats, solidified it for me.. the quality seems to uuze from the photo, or is that just your handsome mug! ;)

btw, check your private messages.

Sam

MD11

Familiar Face
Ok, here is the latest iteration of my two Stetson 100X cowboy hat conversions. Again, I am genuinely interested in constructive criticism and ideas.

I am especially concerned with my adventurous hat band on the black one. I cannibalized the band from the silverbelly and used it on the black hat, as it has a lower brim.. I then had them put a brown (hard to tell the color in my crappy photos) ribbon on the Fedora conversion of my silverbelly.

With the black hat, I'm going for a more casual look.. jeans and such.. the Fedora is obviously more dressy. My other options for the black hat is to return the rather boring black band or try a ribbon, or some other type of band (open to suggestions).

Your thoughts?

315854048.jpg

315854046.jpg

315854041.jpg

315854045.jpg

315854043.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS