Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Undertaker hat questions

zamurai21c

New in Town
Greetings Forum!

I have a question, I am an Undertaker and I wear a hat, not a great one, black Stacy Adams Silk Finish. I am considering buying another fedora, tear drop beaver brand but this time in gray. My question is thus, as an Undertaker can I wear a gray hat or should I stick with black, and are there other rules I should follow due to my profession, (I only wear it outside when conducting parking lot duties and I do remove it during graveside services, leave it in the car during home and hospitals removals) Thank you for your input on this.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
zamurai21c said:
Greetings Forum!

I have a question, I am an Undertaker and I wear a hat, not a great one, black Stacy Adams Silk Finish. I am considering buying another fedora, tear drop beaver brand but this time in gray. My question is thus, as an Undertaker can I wear a gray hat or should I stick with black, and are there other rules I should follow due to my profession, (I only wear it outside when conducting parking lot duties and I do remove it during graveside services, leave it in the car during home and hospitals removals) Thank you for your input on this.
I happen to think gray hats in general could always be better; having said that, I must also add that my #1 primo hat, one my girlfriend particularly likes, is dark gray (with a 1" brim). I also happen to think a man in your position (knowing nothing at all about undertaking as a profession) would want to stick with black in hats. My girlfriend however thinks that, since you're not a family member in these circumstances, any "sober" color is respectful enough, gray, silver, dark, dull colors. Being that you're not in mourning, the black is not so necessary.

MattJH

One Too Many
I realize this sounds like I'm being tongue-in-cheek, and perhaps I am a bit, but I really do like the somewhat unique wide-brim, high-crown bowler hat that the Undertaker (the professional wrestler) has been wearing for almost 15 years as part of his ring attire. Where one would find a hat quite like it is another matter:

frank-undertaker.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
*ahem* More seriously...

While my knowledge of the specifics of dress for the Funeral industry is sparse, it would seem that a dark gray hat with a coordinating (not contrasting) wide ribbon would be very smart and respectful. As long as one avoids light gray or thin ribbon (both pretty casual), you should be fine.
You would also want to dispense with any feathers, of course.

You might also consider a homburg light or dark gray, or black. Even dark brown.

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

zamurai21c

New in Town
Thank you

Thank you gentlemen for your input! It is good to have other people to bounce ideas off of, and for the record most funeral directors do not wear a hat, (a lot of the newer people in the industry are generation X’s) the owners of my firm are both older and really like that I do wear one, and wear a wool top coat and scarf during the cold weather (DC area) however I take a large ration of ribbing from co workers!
“Good morning Capone”, “Mister Jones”, “are you aware that it is 2007 almost?”
I take it all in stride, (off work most of them run around in 4x too large jeans and “witty message here” t shirts) I also know I have never offended a family I have served. Well gents I again thank you for you input and am enjoying the Fedora Lounge, I knew I was not alone in this world of crass and classless people. Continue the work and perhaps we can bring back a much better time to the world.

Sean

P.S. this is the hat I am considering
http://www.thefedorastore.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=E1541

Sans feather of course! and someone mentioned matching band, I agree.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
personally, if I were an undertaker, I'd go with a black homburg.
The one you're looking at looks wonderful though. Go for it!

where in the DC area are you?

rick54

New in Town
Personally, I'd like to suggest a dark gray homburg with a nice wide black ribbon to go with the coat you've described. Very tasteful.
Since every funeral director I've encountered at the funeral home is wearing a suit with coat, thus my suggestion for the homburg, more formal than the fedora. Keep the wearing of the fedora to a little less formal atmosphere, like the prep room!
I'd also suggest dropping the idea of an all black hat. After all, your industry is trying to move away from the archaic stigma of the past! We've been taught to refer to you as funeral directors rather than undertakers, embalmers or morticians. A hearse is now referred to as a "coach" or "funeral coach". Coffins are now caskets. Just seems to be more of a positive direction.
Sad to say though, the days of a good Irish wake with the white gloves lined up on the casket at the grave side, the pail of rose petals, and the 3 day drunk that follows, well the final send-offs just ain't the same these days!

Topper

Vendor
Black Topper pref Silk. If not Tall Black polised Mordern fur felt.

Mourning hatband ( Typically felt) , though not Petersham/grosgrain.

Styles vary over the years, though typically have wider band one than normal 2 inch or more.

There was a whole etiquette about mourning and who wears what, as to hats,band, sahes, armbands e.t.c. I will try and dig it but been a long time since last looked for it.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
zamurai21c said:

Sans feather of course! and someone mentioned matching band, I agree.

You clearly have good taste in hats, but for an on-the-job hat, I don't think this one is it. I used to have a hat just like this one, and it's far to dashing and cool. I'd recommend something in a dark gray, with EITHER a higher crown or a slightly narrower brim. And belive me, there are a ton of dark gray hats on the market! And personally, the dark gray may be a sober color, but not as cartoonishly grim and grizzly as black!

As for the concept of an Undertaker in a fedora, homburg, or bowler... I think I would actually feel better about such a person who takes such an interest in how he looks on the job. It suggests that they care about themselves, and thus about their work. Just my personal opinion.
NB

Gumby

New in Town
Good question...

I think you'd look fine in either black or dark gray. You'll be distinguished just by wearing a nice hat. Keep up the good work.

Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Russ

One of the Regulars
Speaking as one who now receives more funeral invitations than wedding invitations, I would avoid cliche hats that an undertaker might wear in an old movie (black homburgs, bowlers or top hats). It could come off as a morbid fashion show and offend or distract bereaved family members and friends. A dark gray fedora or Homburg would probably work best, and not draw too much attention to itself. A black hat ribbon would be a nice touch.

Having said that, I do like that wrestler's hat a lot -- just not on a real undertaker! You could probably replicate that look with an open crown Akubra Bushman in steel grey if you request one with no vent eyelets from Hats Direct.

Jimmy G

New in Town
Hi, I'm new to this forum, bur have been lurking for a few months and thought this was a topic I could chime in on. I was a licensed Funeral Director in a small home-town Funeral home here in NY for a few years. I personally always wore a gray teardrop fedora. I wore it pretty much under the circumstances you mentioned in your first post except I never wore in for funeral services as we all wore the same funeral suits (black 3 piece with red or purple ties) and as I was the only hat wearer I just left it at the Funeral Home. Anyway bottom line I always prefered gray as black was just a little too harsh in my opinion.
Regards,
Jim

undertaker

Practically Family
I am a hat wearing undertaker as well. I always wear mine when I am outdoors and only remove it during prayer at the graveside. When making removals I wear my hat untill I go in the house to address the family, afterward I put it back on and complete the removal. My way may be against the rules for some, but then who knows the rules and so far I have had no complaints only nice comments. I do however remove my hat when on a elevator at the hospital if there are ladies present ( however, most of the time no one wants to ride with me). Anyway I prefer a dark to mid gray with a wide, conservative ribbon and bow. I wear a fedora most often but from time to time break out my gray St. Regis homburg. To me a black hat makes me look pale and washed out when paired with a dark suit, to much like the old John Caridine charactors in the movies.

For What Its Worth.
J.S.

undertaker

Practically Family
zamurai21c said:
the owners of my firm are both older and really like that I do wear one, and wear a wool top coat and scarf during the cold weather (DC area) however I take a large ration of ribbing from co workers!
“Good morning Capone”, “Mister Jones”, “are you aware that it is 2007 almost?”
Sean

Sean,

I feel your pain, the guys I work with give me a hard time too. Even the boss lady calls me Capone from time to time, thats o.k. she called her dad that to because he always wore a hat and he owned the placelol .

Also the hat in the link is one that I also considered in a Banker Gray, looks like a good choice to me. Versatile and dignified.

Regards,
J.S.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I'm a Church musician, so I do my share of funerals. I really like the idea of you all wearing hats on the "job." Black is always appropriate, although a dark grey might have a bit more dash without being inappropriate. I think that brim might be a bit wide and caricature-ish.

Although, since you'll be wearing it out-of-doors a fair amount, you don't want a stingy, either. Part of the reason, at least for me, would be protection from the sun, especially on my ears and the back of my neck. I'm red-haired, so the sun is always a concern for me. A homburg wouldn't fill this bill.

No, I think a dark charcoal grey with a matching ribbon, or one in navy or black is the ticket.

Do you often wear a brown suit? A dark brown would be appropos if you did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24