Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Unhappy Hipsters" Blog

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
To those of us who are genuinely of the working class, cultural appropriation is cultural appropriation, no matter how you rationalize it. Develop your own identity. Don't try to colonize ours and trivialize it in so doing. Contrary to what your media has taught you, we're far from dead, and we're *far* from irrelevant. Some of us are even articulate enough to speak for ourselves -- and we don't like being mocked. And *you* don't get to tell *us* we're "misinterpreting."

If you believe hipsters are mocking the working class, than yes, it is a misinterpretation. In order for a hipster's ironic interest to be piqued, that which is to be fetishized has to have been rejected by society at large. Otherwise it's not ironic.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I suspect if today's hipsters were around in Mississippi in 1935 they'd be walking around with burnt cork on their faces. All meant ironically, of course.

SUMCWKOPWTOSCI. And unrepentantly classist to boot.

Last edited:
If you believe hipsters are mocking the working class, than yes, it is a misinterpretation. In order for a hipster's ironic interest to be piqued, that which is to be fetishized has to have been rejected by society at large. Otherwise it's not ironic.
Man, whoever that applies to, I'm just glad I'm not in that club! Hopefully post-pubescent hormonal balance or the need to pay for the smart phone bills will change that.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I suspect if today's hipsters were around in Mississippi in 1935 they'd be walking around with burnt cork on their faces. All meant ironically, of course.

SUMCWKOPWTOSCI. And unrepentantly classist to boot.

Funny how y'all can't even keep your hipster narratives straight. In one post, they don't do anything for a living because they "reject everything," but they're also classist.

Whatever.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We don't pretend to be anything other than what we are. We treat people with the same respect with which they treat us.

And if you think I'm classy, you should meet my mother. She'd give you some social science you'd not soon forget.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Believe it or not, I regularly use "y'all" in on and offline conversations. I like esoteric and anachronistic language. It is not, as Lizzie seems to believe, from a standpoint of mocking. That is another of her unfounded assumptions.

If you really care I can show you links to other forums where I say it. Since it seems some are intent on making intimations about my character.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
We don't pretend to be anything other than what we are. We treat people with the same respect with which they treat us.

And if you think I'm classy, you should meet my mother. She'd give you some social science you'd not soon forget.

I'm here to address the topic of conversation.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
And so you have. And you've been addressed right back. Sorry if some of us aren't buying it.

You don't have to buy it. But I'd rather engage in serious discussion with people who are prepared to say more than "whatever" in response.

However, in as far as I can tell, you're not actually expressing any coherent distaste for hipsters. You're just calling out people for what you find distasteful and calling them hipsters.

So if anyone wants to discuss hipsters, I'm all in.

Believe it or not, I regularly use "y'all" in on and offline conversations. I like esoteric and anachronistic language. It is not, as Lizzie seems to believe, from a standpoint of mocking. That is another of her unfounded assumptions.

If you really care I can show you links to other forums where I say it. Since it seems some are intent on making intimations about my character.

Not what I meant by the question. I don't doubt that you use it regulary nor do I question as to why. If you are having a disagreement with someone I would not use the word "y'all" unless you mean to antagonize many.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Not what I meant by the question. I don't doubt that you use it regulary nor do I question as to why. If you are having a disagreement with someone I would not use the word "y'all" unless you mean to antagonize many.

I see nothing antagonistic about the use of the word in the above context.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS