Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Union-Made Lee Chore Coat, How Old?

guygardner

A-List Customer
Just picked up this old Lee Chore Coat. It has "Sanforized, Union-Made" tags, as well as an old "United Garment Workers" Union label in the pocket. Any guesses as to age? I was also wondering if it's possible to date the coat by the union label, and if so, how? Thanks for any input.

IMG_5384_zps5e92672a.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_5383_zps565be47d.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_5379_zpsf786d624.jpg
[/IMG]

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Its a 91 J by cut, but doesnt have the tag to reflect this...I think the biggest clues are in the rivet buttons?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The Registered Trademark "R" in circle exists since 1947.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE...DE-2011-title15-chap22-subchapIII-sec1111.htm

The UGWA Label with red numbers in the middle can also be found during the 1970's.

Without having a clue on Lee Denim garments I'd say 1947-1970's, just by the labels.

(The ACWA Label with red numbers in the middle however was discontinued after 1949 and replaced with the sewing machine in the middle with red numbers at the side.)

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Up until the late 50's or possibly later, the buttons would have looked like this:

leebutton.jpg

The later buttons, with a collar label including type number and size would have suggested 60's.

With the plainer collar label - late 60's or 70's

Still, a cool looking jacket. I wear the blanket lined version in winter, and a "Can't Bust 'Em" unlined one in summer;)

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
BTW, if anyone has (or spots) a Dubble-Ware Chore Coat by M. Hoffman & Co, I'm your buyer!:D;)

guygardner

A-List Customer
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE...DE-2011-title15-chap22-subchapIII-sec1111.htm

The UGWA Label with red numbers in the middle can also be found during the 1970's.

Without having a clue on Lee Denim garments I'd say 1947-1970's, just by the labels.

(The ACWA Label with red numbers in the middle however was discontinued after 1949 and replaced with the sewing machine in the middle with red numbers at the side.)

Ah, interesting. Thanks!

DamianM

Vendor

So therefore its pre 1947 cause of the union label

DamianM

Vendor
this whole union label thing messes with the dating of everything. they used it till 1970s they didn't. they have this they have that
Make up your minds people

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The union label the jacket has was used until the '70s. The buttons and labels are consistent with what was being used in the '60s and '70s. The 91-J pattern had been around since the '40s, but this is a later version of it.

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
this whole union label thing messes with the dating of everything. they used it till 1970s they didn't. they have this they have that
Make up your minds people

Fastuni said "The UGWA Label with red numbers in the middle can also be found during the 1970's."

I said "The labels were still in use in the 70's"

and Dinerman has confirmed exactly the same.

NO ONE has said anything else about UGWA labels in this thread. Which bit of that do you find so confusing??

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo