Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

possibly unpopular around here - I like metal. All kinds of metal. An uncle told me back when I was 15 that it was a phase I would grow out of. Nearly a quarter century later and I'm still looking for new bands and more metal. :D

A bit dated but I was reminded of it.

"The most popular group in Russia is called Rolling Tanks -- it's sort of a heavy metal sound."
...Yacov Smirnov

:D

eveready

Banned

Rundquist

A-List Customer
First you would have to call rap as "music"! ;)

Technically, rap isn’t music by the definition, so I’ll agree with you there lol. It’s a musical art form. Music technically needs to be composed of three elements: melody, rhythm, and chords. Rap hardly ever employs all three at the same time. Even though I never liked rap (at all), it was at least a true art form for a few years. The original rappers were artists that believed in what they were doing. Now you can toss it on the dung heap with the rest of popular music.

Everyone thought that it would go away and it never did. I can't imagine anyone listening to it in older age.

Spoken word can be highly powerful though. In the late 50’s an artist named Oscar Brown Jr. emerged. Oscar wrote songs, wrote lyrics to instrumental jazz tunes, and wrote poetry. It’s hard to believe that this came out in 61 or 62 (the animation is recent).

[video=youtube;Tu3j7rPscpY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu3j7rPscpY[/video]

I'll never forget the first time I heard "But I was cool".

[video=youtube;inlhnKP2i0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inlhnKP2i0c[/video]

Last edited:

martinsantos

Practically Family
When recorded in studio, without public, it is Cage's masterpiece...

I don't know if it's true, but here goes a little story. Cage had music classes with Schoemberg (THIS is a gerat composer, IMO). Schoemberg told Cage: "you won't be a composer, ever if you brake your head in a wall". Maybe this is the origin of 4:33.

John Cage's "4:33" makes me mad, unless it's performed really well.

Viper Man

Banned
Technically, rap isn’t music by the definition, so I’ll agree with you there lol. It’s a musical art form. Music technically needs to be composed of three elements: melody, rhythm, and chords. Rap hardly ever employs all three at the same time. Even though I never liked rap (at all), it was at least a true art form for a few years. The original rappers were artists that believed in what they were doing. Now you can toss it on the dung heap with the rest of popular music.

Everyone thought that it would go away and it never did. I can't imagine anyone listening to it in older age...

Ridiculous.

martinsantos

Practically Family
If I remember well, "rap" means "Rhythm And Poetry".

Poetry IS syncopated; this is one of the points that make the writing and speaking poetry so difficult. (In fact, I need to read poetry hearing my own voice. I'm not a good poetry reader).

Is it an art form? I think so. It doesn't touch my heart, but I can't say "it isn't art". But for me it wanted to be poetry with a "musical touch" with the strongly, percussive, rhythm. Never reached the status of music. The guys and girls dancing with rap doesn't make it music.

Now, if the poetry in rap is good or not is another matter... The examples I listened weren't good. And, believe me, I like a lot popular poetry!

Just adding a comment. In popular poetry there is always a strong rhythm feature. I don't know how is in English, but in Portuguese we have it usually with 5 or 7 syllables (the "elegant" poetry have 10, 11 or - the most - 12). This popular poetry have a lot of rules about rhythm - much more than the cult, elegant alexandrines.

Everyone thought that it would go away and it never did. I can't imagine anyone listening to it in older age.

Spoken word can be highly powerful though. In the late 50’s an artist named Oscar Brown Jr. emerged. Oscar wrote songs, wrote lyrics to instrumental jazz tunes, and wrote poetry. It’s hard to believe that this came out in 61 or 62 (the animation is recent).

I'll never forget the first time I heard "But I was cool".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic