Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Again, music means different things to different people. As I said earlier, most of the music that I like, I have a personal spiritual connection to. As much as talking about music (instead of listening to music) is an arbitrary and redundant endeavor, this is a forum for doing just that.

We could all just say music is either good or bad, but there’d be a lot fewer posts here. Most of the people here are just trying to introduce music to people that they might not have heard before. Nothing wrong with that. Just because it might not fall into line with what we personally like, doesn’t mean the other person is trying to ram it down our throats.

Last edited:

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Me too, actually. I'm also a fan of jazz-funk, and that's probably more my thing than the regular funk genre.

This is the type of stuff I'm into:

[video=youtube;SDuHAN6RAJQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDuHAN6RAJQ[/video]

[video=youtube;veJ2pvlFua0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veJ2pvlFua0[/video]

[video=youtube;swacY6ZSR5U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swacY6ZSR5U[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Reason 184,997 why I can't stand modern popular music: Oversouling.

I can't hear this type of stuff without thinking of Jerry Colonna singing "On The Road To Mandelay." Except Jerry was a better singer.
WTF-Bad-Album-Covers-Jerry-Colonna-Music-for-Screaming.jpg

And better looking, too.

Last edited:

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars

I can't hear this type of stuff without thinking of Jerry Colonna singing "On The Road To Mandelay." Except Jerry was a better singer.

And better looking, too.

Oversouling is definitely irritating.

I'm confused as to why the author mentions melisma in conjunction with Charlie Parker and Miles Davis, though. . . unless they also sang and I just never knew it. I can't imagine Miles Davis ever singing, though, with a voice like his.

Also, how's this for melisma (the first instance begins at about 0:36 in the Sopranos and Altos):

[video=youtube;MS3vpAWW2Zc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS3vpAWW2Zc[/video]

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Also, how's this for melisma (the first instance begins at about 0:36 in the Sopranos and Altos):

[video=youtube;MS3vpAWW2Zc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS3vpAWW2Zc[/video]

Speaking from experience, that is extremely difficult, especially the same melismatic coloratura given to the basses. Most modern basses and baritones are not accustomed to moving that fast.

You really just have to nail your part, no room for error.

Blackjack

One Too Many
The way I look at the whole "cool" aesthetic -- and I look at it as someone who has never subscribed to it -- is that it's essentially oppositional. "Cool" cannot exist without "uncool" -- and therefore it's dependent on the very things it claims to oppose. Cool is achieved by not only standing in contrast to White Presbyterian Velveeta, but in making sure that White Presbyterian Velveeta Eaters *know* you're standing in opposition to them. And if all the W. P. V. E.'s went away -- cool would cease to exist.

Which is why I think of it as something that's artificially attached to music, rather than anything proceeding from music itself -- and it's certainly possible to appreciate music without reference to any such construct. I enjoy the King Cole Trio very much, to use an example that's come up here -- but I enjoy it because it's bouncy, cheerful, and provides a pleasant background while I'm doing the dishes. Or making a Bacon, Velveeta, and Miracle Whip sandwich. On Wonder Bread.

I don't agree that cool's ying must have an un-cool yang. Something cool I think was synonymous with hip or cutting edge if you will. When Brubeck came out with his masterpiece Time Out, it was "cool" no doubt about it. It was new and cutting edge as it could be. It never delegated any other jazz as un-cool it was just new and hip and ...cool

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
WPVE's unite

Yeah, well, from another WPVE. I like that Velveeta.....

on a Captain's Wafer.

OWWWWW!! Little Debbie, little Debbie!

[video=youtube;KUP5rwVNJko]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUP5rwVNJko[/video]

martinsantos

Practically Family
Agree with you (by the way, tks for introducing me to Jerry Colonna).

But this is oversouling is still the pure magical, wonderful, music when compared with what my neighbour is listening by now. Sounds like a washing machine. A very bad one, because it is too loud. My wife says it is "electronic music"; maybe an electronic washing machine?

(soon will come my revenge. Just got an album by Stan Kenton!)

eveready

Banned
Very Unpopular

[video=youtube;vtPk5IUbdH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0[/video] Here's something unlikely to elicit a positive response, but it takes me back to simpler times. Almost makes me want to buy a pair of Chinese made, reissue Pro-Keds.............:D

Edward

Bartender
Anybody who uses Pro Tools might as well be Milli Vanilli.

lol Perhaps a little dogmatic, but.... I think you have a point. I've heard some amazing singers ruined on record with auto-tune, while studio trickery is all too often used to hide a lack of talent. I like a raw voice (some of my favourite singers - Dylan and Johnny Rotten among them - were hardly what you'd call virtuoso vocalists); rather that any day than some ghastly, soulless, mechanised thing that makes you sound like Cher in whatever big hit that was she had a year or two ago.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Anybody who uses Pro Tools might as well be Milli Vanilli.

Not true. Pro Tools is the defacto industry standard for recording. It's no different from using an analog board and reel to reel, except for the fact that it's cheaper and the quality is better. Pro Tools is what does the recording and mixing of multiple tracks, and is not what changes the pitch of someone's voice.

If you mean Antares AutoTune then I would agree with you. AutoTune is NOT Pro Tools, but a package you buy and use with Pro Tools. There is also a hardware option which is a box you sing through and use with old school analog recording equipment.

Again, I think you're confusing AutoTune with Pro Tools

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
How did generations of singers manage to make themselves heard without layers of studio trickery? Jolson, Crosby, Bailey, Fitzgerald, Sinatra -- all started out recording direct to a wax or lacquer disc, in one, with the band right there in the studio behind them. (Jolson even started out recording without a microphone -- he bellowed into an acoustic horn.)

How many of today's performers could do this?

MissMittens

One Too Many
How did generations of singers manage to make themselves heard without layers of studio trickery? Jolson, Crosby, Bailey, Fitzgerald, Sinatra -- all started out recording direct to a wax or lacquer disc, in one, with the band right there in the studio behind them. (Jolson even started out recording without a microphone -- he bellowed into an acoustic horn.)

How many of today's performers could do this?

One or two. Tom Jones and Christina Aguillera come to mind. Regardless of the style of music each does, each of them has a strong enough voice to project into an acoustic horn and sing on-key. I can do without Aguillera's pointless modulating though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy