Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

eveready

Banned
[video=youtube;oqWOlTqn6YU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqWOlTqn6YU&tracker=False[/video]I hope I don't offend the higher-ups, but this has to be pretty unpopular........

martinsantos

Practically Family
:eusa_doh: Well, I said "CAUTION"!!! :D

One LP from Stan Kenton make you believe that this "song" doesn't exist - if you listen twice each side, you can think that ever the pop music is really good.

I do this way. ;)

Heck, I don't understand the lyrics of most of today's pop songs that are in English! I had to scroll back up to Caro Emerald to flush Baba Baby out of my head.

Hell's Belle

New in Town
Looks like I need to brush up on my lingo and get me some banana puddin'!

I like SCOTS. That's why I put them up. Not everyone's taste, but I like
'em. Not sure why.

"WPVE"= White Presbyterian Velveeta Eater.

"Little Debbie, little Debbie!" is a line from Camel Walk. Little Debbies are a desert snack, like Twinkies or Ho Ho's.

You're lucky you have some sort of an oldies station. The only one we have plays 80s music and that just makes me feel old :rolleyes:

i know I wrote this some place but it seems to bear repeating. Music on the radio has become very stratified. When I was a little kid the mix of music that was pop music included a wide variety of music from motown to the British Invasion. As a teen the FM radio stations became more the music presenters and still gave a wide variety music in the rock vein. As the rock genres were distilled into specific types music became very pidgeon holed with music genre specific stations. There were backlashes against some types of music and the general rock stations calibrated what they played to include less.

Over time here in LA the KLOS type station has come down to not playing a lot of new music at all while at the same time they continually pair down the play list of old hits. So a band that had 15 really good songs that used to be played on the radio dropped to 10, then 5 then eventually they will only play the 2 most over played hits that band has in their repetoire. It becomes a hackneyed excuse for programing.

The most over played songs i don't need to hear again:
Boston - More Than a Feeling
Doors - Riders on the Storm (At one point KLOS was nearly "all Doors all the time")
Led Zep's -Rock n Roll or Stairway to Heaven
Clapton - Cocaine
Skynyrd - Freebird

Over playing a great song is the mainstay of what once was album rock FM stations.

Last edited:

rue

^ I take it you don't yell Freebird at weddings? ;)

I know what you mean about the stations. When I was a kid, my grandparents had all sorts of stations with 'their' music and now I can't find one no matter what state I'm in. Does K-Earth 101 still play oldies?
Sorry for the off topic.

K-Earth does still play oldies, but their list of oldies plays less 50's but added later era pop songs with some 70's and maybe 80's thrown into the mix. I haven't listened much to them in a while. They were on in my brothers garage bookshelf stereo as "doing laundry" music for a long time. He may have switched to Jack FM 93.1.

Jack FM was a welcome relief to the snotty pretensious self importance KLOS has, but they are limited in play list so like KLOS are good for short times only every once in a while.

rue

K-Earth does still play oldies, but their list of oldies plays less 50's but added later era pop songs with some 70's and maybe 80's thrown into the mix. I haven't listened much to them in a while. They were on in my brothers garage bookshelf stereo as "doing laundry" music for a long time. He may have switched to Jack FM 93.1.

Jack FM was a welcome relief to the snotty pretensious self importance KLOS has, but they are limited in play list so like KLOS are good for short times only every once in a while.

Although sad news to hear it, thanks for answering. It was something I've been curious about for quite awhile.

Do you ever try AM Radio? I have found some gems of stations that play the oldies and classic country. I can even get the Opry's 650 WSM out of Nashville at nite.

lol That was their tag line back in the 80s in Los Angeles.
You're lucky you have some sort of an oldies station. The only one we have plays 80s music and that just makes me feel old :rolleyes:

We yell Freebird at work all the time lol I do have a redneck side!
^ I take it you don't yell Freebird at weddings? ;)

I know what you mean about the stations. When I was a kid, my grandparents had all sorts of stations with 'their' music and now I can't find one no matter what state I'm in. Does K-Earth 101 still play oldies?
Sorry for the off topic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy