Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Navy & US Marine Corp Boat Cloaks, and US Army Capes

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
US Army cape dated 1938 for Lt Col CW Lewis. The lining is red so artillery or air defense.

army 26a (1938, Lt Col CW Lewis).jpg army 26c.jpg army 26f.jpg army 26h.jpg army 26k.jpg army 26m.jpg army 26p.jpg army 26q.jpg army 26r.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
For some reason I had forgotten to post this image, which is from an old book or handbook on US military uniforms of the WW2 era. Note the US Army cape at bottom left.

army Insignia 107 1455.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Just spotted this on Reddit, the user didn't know what it was but they did note it was dated 1963. It's a US Army cape, of course, probably infantry.

93y4sktldrt11 date 1963.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
From the USMC photo archives: "Sgt. Maj. Micheal P. Barrett, the 17th Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, attends the Staff Non-commissioned Officer’s Academy Quantico Career Course 1-15 Mess Night at the Clubs at Quantico, Va., Dec. 3, 2014. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Marionne T. Mangrum)."

141203-M-OL349-008 - Copy.JPG

coastie_classics

New in Town
So I was finally able to get into a sewing class and accomplished this very rough draft. Funny looking, I know, but didn’t want to waste good fabric so this one was all made from clearance scrap. It’s built off a commercial pattern (vogue 8959) so it’s fitted as opposed to a 3/4 circle. When laid out on the ground, it is about a 1/2 circle.

Next draft will be to get it expanded with bigger panels to 3/4 circle and then practicing until I can get the collar bigger and closer to the way it should look. Also longer past the knees.

Between the classes and the scrap, fabric, sunk about $100 so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    931.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0148.jpeg
    IMG_0148.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 22

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^
applause for your adventuresome spirit!
fingers crossed you can achieve something wearable
remember to make sure the collar points are fairly long and pointed

if you have a lot of "throwaway" cloth you could just make a huge 3/4 circle, in three panels, and not bother with shaping the shoulders... see what it looks like... there's a danger that too much shaping will be too restrictive

anyways good luck, looking forward to updates

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Hello All,
I have several Yugoslavian alpine cloaks, a bunch of different shelter halves that convert to cloaks, a French policeman’s cloak, and a Soviet Officers rain cloak.
This looks like the only active cloak thread on FL and if there’s an interest here, I can post them?
Or if this is specifically for Marine Boat Cloaks only I’m happy to start a more general thread.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Hello All,
I have several Yugoslavian alpine cloaks, a bunch of different shelter halves that convert to cloaks, a French policeman’s cloak, and a Soviet Officers rain cloak.
This looks like the only active cloak thread on FL and if there’s an interest here, I can post them?
Or if this is specifically for Marine Boat Cloaks only I’m happy to start a more general thread.
There's a more general thread on capes/cloaks at the link below which is probably a good place to post photos of your collection. This thread I think we should keep more focused on US military capes etc. I'm looking forward to your photos.

general thread on Capes/Cloaks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner