Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Parks Service ("Ranger") style hat band?

DougC

Practically Family
I was poking around for hat bands last night and saw a picture of a US Parks Services Smokey Bear/Campaign hat band. Does anyone know where to buy or get instructions to make this style of hat band out of leather?

DougC

Practically Family
I think I'd have to become a boy scout to wear part of the uniform. But, I could buy one and head to the leather store....

I think I'd have to become a boy scout to wear part of the uniform. But, I could buy one and head to the leather store....

Probably easier than joining the Park Service!!! I was a ViP = Volunteer In the Park at Andersonville National Park for a few years. You had to be a Park ranger to get the uniform stuff. Even the maintenance crew was not allowed those uniform items.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/workman1b/voll.htm

It also states that you can't wear it unless you really are a park ranger. PERSONALLY, I might try and copy the whole leather band and knot with other decoration. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't get me in much trouble. I did actually see a 12 year old kid get arrested at the Wichita minor league baseball stadium because he was wearing a Wichita Police Department jacket with the embroidered badge.

Later

DougC

Practically Family
I would give it a shot IF I could get a pattern. I did find a picture of a non-NPS band on page 73 of Snyder's Stetson Hats book. Leather, rings, rivots....

DougC

Practically Family
Nope--got one. Just want the leather hat band...without the USNPS initials. But, I'm putting it on a cowboy hat. I haven't worn the campaign hat snce I was 13.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy