Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAAF A-1 WWII Mechanic Sweaters

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Okay, guys, have long admired these and followed an auction that closed recently. Snagged some photos for future reference.

Anyone have one of these?

MSweat.jpg

MSTag.jpg

MSDetail.jpg

MSBack.jpg

MSWaist.jpg

MSSleeve.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Here's Eastman's Repro...

Currently 58.75 pounds ($93).

A-1sweatermont.jpg

Thinking about adding this to my Christmas list! (Have a nifty US Army Air Forces 5 in. embroidered patch that would look fantastic on this.)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
That M1911 sweater is great. Very comfy, too. You need to use the size chart, when you get one, 'cause they're huge.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I watched the eBay auction...

For the one in the photo. Would have been ALL over it had it been a 46 (right!) rather than a 40. I've also been checking around and some other makers have sweaters that are similar. But, the Eastman keeps whispering: "Buy me!" in my ear.

Orvis option ($98 in cotton):

38X7nwolive.jpg

BT, I do like that WWI option at WPG ($65 in wool):

US_M1911_Sweater.jpg

rumblefish

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:
For the one in the photo. Would have been ALL over it had it been a 46 (right!) rather than a 40. I've also been checking around and some other makers have sweaters that are similar. But, the Eastman keeps whispering: "Buy me!" in my ear.

Orvis option ($98 in cotton):

38X7nwolive.jpg
The one from Orvis is huge, and bulky. I got a medium and it was still big for me- I'm usually a 42. Since it's 100% cotton, I washed it in hot and tumble dried on hot, and got it to shrink a bit. Well made, just not at all like the originals or the ones from Eastman- from what I can see.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I sold that sweater from the ebay auction. I'm surprised that it did as well as it did. I won it on ebay about two years ago (in the heat of the summer) and got it for around $20. It's a great example of this type of sweater, I just needed to think out my collection a bit. I also auctioned off the M-1941 Field Jacket with the Rangers patch (both original).

I'm new to the group, by the way and happy to be here!

- Ian

cco23i

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
I think What Price Glory does these, or a similar one.
Just checked- no he doesn't but he does this one:

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=3906&bc=no

Well detailed. Also does a roll-neck, with the correct "rib-rack", 2-way ribbing knit.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=4270&bc=no

Make sure and enlarge those images, for full detail.

Did you particularly want that mechanic's sweater?

B
T

I know WPG has a British V neck that was issued to the East Indians, Those will work for USAAF ground crew sweaters.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy