Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAAF Base Command show-and-tell

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Hey guys! As some of you know, I posted some pics of a uniform that I got a garage sale a little while ago. Thanks to this forum, it was pointed out that the patch on the shoulder of the uniform was a WW2 Newfoundland Base Command patch. I have since taken an interest the USAAF Air Transport Command system and its associated Base Commands. I recently acquired another uniform for my collection. Its a Greenland Base Command uniform with an Air Transport Command patch on the left shoulder. It is interesting to note the cross-stitched pattern on the patches on the jacket. The patches were already sewn on using green thread, but white thread was added most likely to add a little "pizazz" to the uniform. I have found a few other resources that have confirmed that some soldiers did this to their uniforms. I am curious to know if anyone else in this forum has any Air Transport Command memorabilia to show. If so, please share pictures! The guys who ran the Air Transport Command were VITAL in our country's ability to fight in WW2, but few people know of their existence. If you have a minute to learn a little, here is a good informative link (read under the "History" section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Air_Command

Greenland Base Command (GBC) Ike jacket:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Close-up of patches on GBC Ike jacket. Note the cross-stitching on the patces:

Matching shirt, minus the cross-stitching:

Collar disc on left collar of Ike jacket. Could someone advise as to who would have worn this insignia? Pilots or flight crews, etc.

Newfoundland Base Command (NBC) jacket:

Close-up of shoulder patches on NBC jacket:

Last edited:

MPicciotto

Practically Family
img4778it.jpg

That's the AAF logo. Everybody in the Army Air Force had that on their collar. My grandfather was in the signal corps assigned to the AAF so he had Signal Corps collar brass and an AAF patch on the shoulder of his discharge tunic. But had he been straight up in the AAF he'd have the above brass.

I'll have to dig out and scan/photograph my other grandfathers discharge card. It states which base command he was assigned to. It was in the South Pacific.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany