Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAF N-3B parkas - Let's talk about them!!

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I really wanted one, and I found a great vintage example, but I decided against it because, for me, I think it would be far too warm for NYC winters, 99% of the time. If I still lived in Iowa, I would have pulled the trigger on one a long while back.

- Ian

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I really wanted one, and I found a great vintage example, but I decided against it because, for me, I think it would be far too warm for NYC winters, 99% of the time. If I still lived in Iowa, I would have pulled the trigger on one a long while back.

- Ian
If you love in NYC then yes, and N3B would be superfluous. But if you're in upstate NY then you'd use it.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here

- Ian

Purchased an N-3A, wore it once over two years (too warm) & then moved it on.

Proceeds paid for an N-2A that is wearable, N-2B's getting lots of use here in the UK at present.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
John Kerry in modern-day military issued N3B parka. From a Danish or something website, can't recognize the language.

Last edited:

Michal

New in Town
Hello everyone,

that's my first post on this forum. I've beed reading it since couple of months ago when I started getting more and more interested in vintage military clothing. Just got my first original - 1978 Lancer N3B (80%cotton, 20%nylon) in near mint condition (pics below) but I'm not sure when it comes to some aspects.
When I recieved this jacket it was very clean, no stains or anything like that. Also it seems not to be used too much, only minor signs of use. But after I wore it for maybe two weeks I notices that it's getting dirty really fast. It can be seen in areas where fabric meets skin, like pocket flaps. Is it normal for this kind of fabric or is it because of its age? Maybe these parkas where originally impregnated to prevent soaking fluids and oil?
Another thing is the hood. How hard is it supposed to be? I know there's some kind of rubber (?) inside. When I got the jacket it was suprisingly stiff but after some wear it became much softer and now it feels like this cheap rubber one-piece basketball shell - without air inside of course :) ). It has fake fur which seems to bee clean but it looks shorter than on other parkas I see on the web, maybe someone had cut it a bit. It's really hard and scratchy compared to mall quality fake fur. Is it because it had to do the same job as real fur? I mean stopping snow and freeze in low temperatures while looking awful? :)
Last thing is the thickness of the jacket - it is not as thick as I imagined. On the back it is just a bit thicker than Alpha Ma1 but interlining is much more dense. Anyway, it's the warmest jacket I ever had, but I wonder if it was washed in the washing mashine at some point.

Sorry if my English is bad, it's my second language.
464010105_1_1000x700_parka-kurtka-n3b-kontraktowa-m-radom_rev006.jpg

464010105_6_1000x700_parka-kurtka-n3b-kontraktowa-m-_rev006.jpg

464010105_5_1000x700_parka-kurtka-n3b-kontraktowa-m-mazowieckie_rev006.jpg

464010105_4_1000x700_parka-kurtka-n3b-kontraktowa-m-moda_rev006.jpg

464010105_7_1000x700_parka-kurtka-n3b-kontraktowa-m-_rev006.jpg

464010105_3_1000x700_parka-kurtka-n3b-kontraktowa-m-ubrania_rev006.jpg

Michal

New in Town
I'm not able to post photos right now, but it looks like fabric is collecting every single particle of sweat or every kind of natural oily substances from my hands. It's obvious that almost every type of fabric does that but after couple of touches it becomes visibly darker and looks like it has absorbed everything from my hands. I'm talking about places that are naturally touched like pocket flaps etc. And I mean touched with clean hands. I use it in a very casual way, just wearing during the day, not doing any dirty jobs. I've never seen any clothes getting dirty so fast, that's why I'm curious.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Upping this thread. Maybe the moderators could merge those two new threads into this one? Then we'll have all discussion in one place.

Schmauder

New in Town
I'm looking for a vintage N3B parka a while now, and since I'm really interested in military history, I'd like to put on a few patches on the parka when I finally get one. Since I'm from Germany that shouldn't be a problem. But I want the patches to be from the units issued the parkas. Is there any information as to which unit had been issued the parka? Generally I know it's been issued to units stationed in colder areas, but the specific units especially from the 50s, 60s and 70s are hard to find. Thanks!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Schmauder, Hi!
Good question. You know, I think the only pictures of patched N-3b I have ever seen were Japanese repro jackets. I don't think I have ever seen an original with a patch (having said that, I have a memory of a photo of one with a Military Airlift Command patch). I'm not sure, but weren't these 'shared' jackets rather than individually issued?
Maybe Atticus Finch will spot the thread and chip in, he would likely know about how common it was to see these patched.

Stand By

One Too Many
@Schmauder, Hi!
Good question. You know, I think the only pictures of patched N-3b I have ever seen were Japanese repro jackets. I don't think I have ever seen an original with a patch (having said that, I have a memory of a photo of one with a Military Airlift Command patch). I'm not sure, but weren't these 'shared' jackets rather than individually issued?
Maybe Atticus Finch will spot the thread and chip in, he would likely know about how common it was to see these patched.

Good call Big J. Indeed, the only patched N3-Bs I've seen were Buzz Ricksons (I have a few old catalogues and they're in those. The Lockheed Skunkworks one stands out in my memory too) and very nice they were too. Very well done and, as per BR, authentic. I'd look those up, Schmauder.

Last edited:

Schmauder

New in Town
The thing is, I got a A2 deck jacket from the Vietnam era, used, but in a good shape, which was already patched when I got it. So I'd like the parka to match the deck jacket. Maybe the parka purists wont't like it, but I think it adds to the vintage military impression :).

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The thing is, I got a A2 deck jacket from the Vietnam era, used, but in a good shape, which was already patched when I got it. So I'd like the parka to match the deck jacket. Maybe the parka purists wont't like it, but I think it adds to the vintage military impression :).
Might as well go for it. I would never like to see a mint coat being patched post-hoc, but one that's banged around a bit? Sure why not.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
So.....
IF (!) I was to patch an N-3b, I'd do a combination (or all) of the following;

Right shoulder, 60th Military Airlift Wing patch.
Left shoulder, 7th, 22nd, 28th, 44th, 75th, 84th, 85th OR 86th Military Airlift Squadron patch.
Right chest, Military Airlift Command patch.
Left chest, black on white fabric tape, or white on blue fabric tape U.S.A.F
No name, no wings.

The 60th did sterling service all over the world during the Cold War, airlifting in Europe, and extensively in support of the Vietnam war.

Schmauder

New in Town
Thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciate it.
@Big J: Thanks for the possible units, after a little research it might prove harder to find the correct patches than a parka. I think I´ll get Doctor Damages Albert Turner parka, and then I have to think about patching it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo