Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAF shoulder decal

Monsoon

A-List Customer
I've been looking around but having some trouble getting these.

What I'm looking for is the USAF Shoulder roundel that was on issued flight jackets. During/right after WW2, it was the roundel and "Army Air Forces"; after Sep 1947, it was the roundel and "U.S. Air Force".

Anyone know where I can find one for an MA-1 jacket? I saw that Garcia Aviation has them, but they are water-slide decals. Now, having built models for years, I'm not thinking those will hold up too well.

Thanks for the help!

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
No, but I have used this seller before...

I bought a USMC iron on decal from them. The whole deal worked out a treat and the decal was easy to use and worked well.

I'd say give it a go!

Monsoon

A-List Customer
Thanks for the ideas. I'm just worried about waterslide. When I hear that, I think about model decals, and don't think they'd do too well on nylon jackets. I hope that they are a lot more hardier than those!

Aether

One of the Regulars
The waterslide is only for leather I believe, but it's a fairly simple process. I haven't tried their Iron on decals but I'd imagine they'd be made to a high standard.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
I don' t think you'd want to use a "heat Set" decal on a Nylon jacket , it would probably burn the material .
Johnny
I believe they were originally put on the nylon jackets via a silkscreen process and not a decal at all .

If you know a Very Good airbrush artist , he/she maybe able to put one on in a "proper" copy of the original design.

Monsoon

A-List Customer
That's what I've been concerned about. I want to put a decal on an MA-1, but want to make sure it's a good quality and long lasting marking. Heat does worry me on the nylon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner