Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

V for Vendetta?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Never heard of it...

Plot summary, thanks to IMDB:

Plot Summary for
V for Vendetta (2005)

The futuristic tale unfolds in a Great Britain that's a fascist state. A freedom fighter known as V (Weaving) uses terrorist tactics to fight the oppressive society. He rescues a young woman (Portman) from the secret police, and she becomes his unlikely ally.

Summary written by Siriuslydead

Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, V For Vendetta tells the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey (Natalie Portman) who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by a masked vigilante known only as "V." Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V ignites a revolution when he detonates two London landmarks and takes over the government-controlled airwaves, urging his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression. As Evey uncovers the truth about V's mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself - and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom and justice back to a society fraught with cruelty and corruption.

Summary written by Alex W

In this obscure and Gothic tale, adapted from Allan More's graphic novel, one attractive girl, Evey (Natalie Portman) gets involved accidentally in a terrorist attack, perpetrated by a masked and megalomaniac character, V (Hugo Weaving). V is following the same steps of Guy Fawkes, a sort of terrorist of the XVII century, who wanted to blow up the English Parlament in London. However, in the present time, the Orwellian London lives under the fascist government of chancellor Adam (John Hurt), and V will fight against his regime, using the power of powder, blowing up important buildings. Evey will be chased by the secret police, thinking that she's the accomplice of V, who will accomplish Fawkes' mission of destroying the Parlament on the 5th of November, in this mixture of The Phantom of the Opera, George Orwell's 1984 and Batman.

Summary written by Alejandro Frias

Adapted from Allan Moore's graphic novel of the same name, "V for Vendetta" tells the story of Evey Hammond and her unlikely but instrumental part in bringing down the fascist government that has taken control of a futuristic Great Britain. Saved from a life-and-death situation by a man in a Guy Fawkes mask who calls himself V, she learns a general summary of V's past and, after a time, decides to help him bring down those who committed the atrocities that led to Britain being in the shape that it is in.

Summary written by ameelmore

In a near future, a totalitarian state is ruling England. On November, 5th, a man self-calling V (Hugo Weaving) explodes a symbolic monument and starts fighting for freedom using terrorist technique. He also rescues Evey Hammond (Natalie Portman) from the claws of the abusive secret police and later she becomes her allied. The man in charge of the investigation, Inspector Eric Finch (Stephen Rea), discloses the truth about his leaders while chasing V.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I really liked it.

But then again I used to live in England...so a lot of the subtle humour about events and things was something I just 'got'.

It made some strong statements and provoked thought yet was entertaining.

Citizen Ed

Familiar Face
I actually saw this over the weekend. I read the comic back int the 80's and loved it. Having heard the writer Allen Moore despised the movie version and refused to have his name on the credits I went into the film with some trepidation but was quite pleased with how good it was. Not the best comic to film adaptation I've seen but it was worth the time spent watching it.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I liked it, though I think Natalie Portman looked like ET with a shaved head. I'm a big fan of the comic, though I am not of the nerd camp who hated the due to the changes...a lot of things have changed since it was written in Thatcher's 80s and I thought the changes were appropriate. I also liked the ending, despite the differences.

My husband and I saw this a few weeks ago and liked it well enough to buy a used copy in our local video store for our collection. He likes the comic themed films and I thougt it was very well done. Some of the more romantic sceens reminded me of Phantom of the Opera. My husband also commented that the sword fights were done very well. That is a big compliment comming from him as he is a martial artist and usually hates movie fight scenes as they are usually very unrealistic.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
loved it!!! i'm collecting the comics so i can experience it in its original form...so far the comics are really good...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I saw this in the theater--really compelling images. Stephen Fry was very moving and the bit where Evey is imprisoned was particularly interesting.

I still need to read the graphic novel.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I loved it, saw it a couple of times, and will probably get the DVD sometime. I was pretty dubious beforehand, 'cause I am NOT a fan of the Warshowskis' other films (I think they exemplify empty style over substance). Smart, moving, fascinating - and I think it's pretty darn gutsy to make a film advocating overthrowing an established government in today's conservative political climate.

I had read the original graphic novel back around 1990 and liked it also. A lot of hardcore fans of the original were disturbed at the changes made in the screenplay to make the film more pointedly about today's world than Thatcher-era England, but I think they did a great job. Beautiful production design, outstanding acting by everybody, especially Hugo Weaving, who gives the best never-seen performance since Claude Rains in The Invisible Man!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I loved the comic, and thought the film did a fine job.

In fact, I think the film suits Alan Moore's purpose better with the changes than it would have as a historical piece.

V for Vendetta is a warning about what happens when extremists - political or religious, and no matter what their flavour of extremism might be - are allowed to take power. Norsefire are given the government by people who are too scared to think for themselves as a result of believing propaganda without question, and with a governmental position secure they use it to impose their way of thinking on the populace. Dissent dies because there was no dissent, if you will.

Some might say that nothing has changed in the twenty years since the book was written, but I disagree. My feeling is that the threat is greater now than it has been in the last sixty years and as such it was time for the warning to be reissued in such a way that a new generation will take heed.

V for Vendetta reminds us that totalitarianism is a bad thing, that we should not permit it to come about through inaction, and that no matter whose creed the propagandist cries it is always the citizenry who will suffer. An encouragement to stand for one's beliefs was needed, the message needs to be repeated over and over and as members of a democratic state it is our duty to see through the lies of those who would impose a standard method of thinking and act to defend our rights to be individuals.

No names mentioned, for obvious reasons, but I think the basic principal is one that every member of this board should agree with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn