Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegan Vintage Beauty

VintageVixie

Another vegan here. :)

I've used vegan cosmetics for years, and the only thing I've yet to find that really has a decent coverage like some of the nonvegan ones did is concealer for the eyes. I've had dark circles since childhood. And they have always been there, no matter if I was a health nut raw foodist and running every other day with perfect counts or if I was the other extreme, not doing anything but having fun, drinking a bit much and living on little sleep.

Nowadays I'm certainly more moderate in my habits, but the circles sure are the same.

I want to try Clinque's All About Eyes. I know Clinique doesn't test on animals, but I have to see the ingredients, and they aren't on the website. I'll have to get out to the Clinique counter and get hold of them.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Further complicating matters . . .

Some vegans, like me, feel it's okay to indulge in animal products made long ago, or even a while back, seeing as how that won't or doesn't effect current market demands for similar products. Case in point: I buy vintage fur hats and leather jackets, but I feel that doesn't stimulate a trade in freshly killed fur or leather.

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
Vegan Beauty Links

Hello,

I'm a vegetarian and I strive for all natural beauty especially beauty products that have no chemicals and no animal by products, here are a few links below of some vegan friendly/no chemical and all natural beauty products. I use Everyday Minerals and so do my friends and they have all said great things about it! And I have received many compliments on my skin. Its all loose powder and it gives you lasting coverage and a soft even tone on your skin. For Zoya Nail Polish, I have yet to try it. but heard there were natural ingredients included in this product.

Everyday Minerals:
https://www.everydayminerals.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=21&Itemid=41
Zoya Nails:
http://www.artofbeauty.com/scrpt/scr.dll/cat?brand=2

Here is also a link to Cruelty-Free Companies and Products
http://search.caringconsumer.com/

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
miss_elise said:
no wool as well? wow...there you go you learn a new thing every day

Wool is animal fur. NO wool.
Although most vegans who 'eat' vegan dont abide by a lot of the non ingested aspects of a vegan lifestyle. You cant completely rid yourself of animal products, but what you can rid yourself of, is what you should strive to. It takes a lot of time.

As for vegan beauty products, make your own. Make your own lotions and soaps and perfumes from what you want, animal free, and often way cheaper than buying them. Contact make up companies and see if they sell specific things in bulk. Might save some money there.

Plus you cut out the guess work of wondering if the glycerin in their products is of vegetable or animal origins (which by law they do not have to say or continuously control).

LD

Goldfish

A-List Customer
What are everyones recommendations for lip products? Preferably organic & paraben - free.

@Vegan_Kitty can you tell me the name of the red lip stain you have from B Never 2 Busy 2 Be Beautiful?

VintageVixie

randooch said:
Some vegans, like me, feel it's okay to indulge in animal products made long ago, or even a while back, seeing as how that won't or doesn't effect current market demands for similar products. Case in point: I buy vintage fur hats and leather jackets, but I feel that doesn't stimulate a trade in freshly killed fur or leather.

Very true, especially since most vegan shoes are actually made from plastics, which support the petroleum industries and that has it's own serious issues for everyone on the planet. And if you read about the textiles industries and pollution, it's horrid. There is no way to live currently as a human and not contribute damage and pain, but we can do the best we realistically can to reduce that and make the future not so bleak.

It can make more sense for the world as a whole to buy old leather that will last ten years and gives no money to the leather industry (the second biggest money maker for the cattle and animals for food people is leather and other skins). Or you end up buying a new pair of plastic shoes far more often, that goes into the landfill far sooner, and ends up supporting other bad industries.

Most of the vegans I know are abolitionist vegans, and there is no wavering over that line for them, if it's animal, they don't use it, old or new. Most of them feel a vegan who wears even old, used animal skins ia hypocrite, but I don't see it that way. A lot of vegans feel that if you wear any animal product you are sending the wrong message but again, we're talking about something that as much as people want it to have an absolute definition, it still doesn't, except where diet is concerned. For instance, a vegan diet has no animal product in it, honey is part of the animal kingdom as it comes from insects, therefore it's not vegan. Vitamin D can be from lanolin (D3) or from plant sources (D2)- but a lot of vegans don't even know that.

I try to think about the animals (including humans) and the future in my choices. I do not do so lightly and I make it last as long as possible. Resoling one pair of good quality leather shoes for fifteen years (which I've done) is far kinder to everything and everyone than buying into the leather, plastics or textiles industries.

There are animal products in so many daily uses... every memory card has gelatin in it, every hard drive disk, and every match we light... it's everywhere. But that does not mean give up.

I actually need new shoes right now, and have been looking for weeks. It will take me a while longer to settle, but it's personally an important enough issue for me that I don't mind taking the time.

VintageVixie

Goldfish said:
What are everyones recommendations for lip products? Preferably organic & paraben - free.

Check out:
http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/lipstick-by-zuzu-luxe.htm

Zuzu cosmetics... best lipstick. I use a gorgeous red called Vino De Amor. It stays on well, doesn't bleed, I don't have problems with it and heat, and it keeps my lips nice and happy and soft.

Here we can get it at the vegetarian co-op and Whole Foods.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Miss Rose said:
Check out:
http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/lipstick-by-zuzu-luxe.htm

Zuzu cosmetics... best lipstick. I use a gorgeous red called Vino De Amor. It stays on well, doesn't bleed, I don't have problems with it and heat, and it keeps my lips nice and happy and soft.

Here we can get it at the vegetarian co-op and Whole Foods.

Great, thank you! Any other good shades? Do you have pictures?

There's an online shop in my country that sells Zuzu Luxe and Ecco Bella lip products, but it's kind of a big step to spend 14 euros on a product you haven't even seen a swatch of :(. I wish the vegan makeup community was bigger, and more people would be interested in organic products.

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
Another Vegan here :)

Have a look at Inika cosmetics - they are an Australian brand of mineral cosmetics, widely available online in the UK (not sure about the US). Their eye colours are amazing.

Clarins is mainly vegan - there are no 'direct' animal products, and if you ask they will tell you if the product you are interested in is one of the few that has honey (miel) or dairy.

I am another vegan who still wears vegan shoes that I bought before I went vegan (I was a vegetarian for quite some time before) and I own a few vintage leather handbags. As others have stated, it is more about not supporting the current killing of animals. For me, my choice is my own ethical and environmental choice, and I feel buying vintage/second hand/pre-loved is actually probably more beneficial for the environment than buying new. Also, at least I am not buying something that sends a message to the market that there is a demand for new leather products.

BUT each to their own. Some vegans would say I am a hypocrite, some non-vegans would say I am too hard core for my own good :p Luckily I am happy with my own choices.

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
I myself am a vegetarian. I'm a lacto-ovo, which means I consume dairy products and eggs. BUT the dairy products are vegetarian based ie: rennet free and humane + the eggs are free range.
I can't stand it when people ask me 'what do you eat then?' when they find out I am vegetarian... they must think I am an alien or something! Also very annoying when they ask 'do you eat fish?'

I wear very little leather. The leather items I do wear are second hand shoes mainly. But I would love to buy some shoes from re-mix shoes!

As for cosmetics - I aim for vegan friendly, and if that is not possible I go for no animal testing.
But some products are actually fibbing when they say 'no animal testing' because their company may not test on animals but the ingredients they purchased from outside sources may have... so it is not really 'no animal testing'.... make sure you check it out.
A great site that lists products is: http://www.choosecrueltyfree.org.au/list.html

Some of my faves are:
NATIO (great Australian brand, they are not 100% vegan because their nail polish contains shellac, but other than that they are cruelty free)
http://www.natio.com.au/

INNOXA (Inoxxa are not 100% vegan either - though they are listed as cruelty free - they are not vegan becaues they have lactose in some of their products).

Another great product I actually found on ebay. They are PURE COSMETICS, and they have an ebay store. They are vegan + mineral makeup.
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Pure-Cosmetics-Store

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I found a video where you can see some of the Zuzu Luxe lipsticks if anyone's interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKrF1f9f_qQ

ETA: Screenshot of them, not the best, but you get an idea...

11ce9hs.jpg

cecil

A-List Customer
i'm vegan, but after purchasing alot of money's worth of vegan cosmetics and mineral makeup and being sorely disappointed i've gone back to MAC for alot of products. everything else i use has to be vegan but i had to give up on some of the makeup. if i can good vegan lipstick and eyeshadow (right colours, good pigment concentration, no sparkle, not loose) that didn't cost 3 x as much once you factor in the exchange rate and shipping costs to australia then i'd go for it but until then MAC it is.

i like manic panic face powder and foundation though. i got all excited when i heard that all of their stuff was vegan so i bought an eyeshadow..not only was the pigment concentration poor but it had carmine in it, which is the reason why i stopped buying mac anyway. booo!

Goldfish

A-List Customer
cecil, which brands did you try? Please share what brands have disappointed you!

volatile

A-List Customer
randooch said:

Indeed.

I'm vegan, but I'd rather a pair of well made vintage leather shoes than a new pair of plastic ones - particularly as the plastic ones often fall apart quickly, and will take hundreds if not thousands of years to biodegrade. They're also made from petrochemicals, of course...

In my opinion, there's no point treating veganism as a religion, and seeing all animal products as "contaminated" as some often do. It's a pragmatic ethical decision, so it make sense to consider clothing in these terms. Buying second-hand leather doesn't fund those who mistreat animals or pollute the environment, and is actually a sounder choice if part of the reasons behind your veg[etari]anism is environmental.

On cosmetics, I hear great things about Be Never too Busy to Be Beautiful, the cosmetic offshoot of Lush, most of whose products are animal-product free.

cecil

A-List Customer
Goldfish said:
cecil, which brands did you try? Please share what brands have disappointed you!

mostly australian chemist (drugstore) brands like natio, then mineral foundation/makeup companies like inika, some other one that i can't remember the name of, stargazer etc. sorry, pretty bad on the details. the products themselves would probably be ok if you wanted a natural look, but when you're after the blackest eyeshadow and the reddest lipstick it's hard. also the main reason why i didn't like mineral makeup is that it reacted to my skin, so again that's objective.

i could pay huge sums of money to have products shipped over from the states or the UK but i find it a bit counter-productive to the environmental side of veganism as well as almost unethical to airfreight a lipstick over from the other side of the world just for little ole me.

Claudette

New in Town
I'm not vegan, but I buy makeup from Fyrinnae. They are vegan, and I absolutely love their wide selection of eyeshadows. Their liquid liners are awesome too and should be back up on the website soon. Plus, they sell samples, and shipping is free worldwide for purchases over $20. Check them out!

zendy

A-List Customer
VintageVixie said:
Another vegan here. :)

I've used vegan cosmetics for years, and the only thing I've yet to find that really has a decent coverage like some of the nonvegan ones did is concealer for the eyes. I've had dark circles since childhood. And they have always been there, no matter if I was a health nut raw foodist and running every other day with perfect counts or if I was the other extreme, not doing anything but having fun, drinking a bit much and living on little sleep.

I've always had the same problem. I found a great product on Etsy. I've been using it for 3 months and it works wonders as long as you moisturize underneath it and put your foundation over it. I use a powder foundation so I'm not sure how well it works with liquid.

cupcake

Familiar Face
I'm also vegan and agree with the vintage/second hand leather goods.
Right now I'm at a point where I'm fed up of going through plastic shoes in a matter of weeks, I've gone through at least 8 pairs this year alone! I think if I found a good quality pair of leather shoes that I could wear every day for years I'd buy them as the money and environment issues surrounding the plastic are becoming much too costly.

Cecil, what is the verdict on the manic panic foundations? I'm looking for a new one and I'm mas pale as pale could be. (Giorgio armani's palest shade is a match) I'm getting desperate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails