Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vertigo named 'Greatest Film of All Time'

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
The British Film Institute's Sight and Sound magazine polls a selected panel once a decade and Citizen Kane has been its top pick for the last 50 years.

This time 846 distributors, critics and academics championed Vertigo, about a retired cop with a fear of heights.

Here is Sight and Sound's current top ten (note that the youngest film is Kubrick's 2001 made in 1968):

1. Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)

2. Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)

3. Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953)

4. La Regle du Jeu (Renoir, 1939)

5. Sunrise: a Song for Two Humans (Murnau, 1927)

6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968)

7. The Searchers (Ford, 1956)

8. Man with a Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov, 1929)

9. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer, 1927)

10. 8½ (Fellini, 1963)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19078948

Edward

Bartender
Mn, not convinced. Looks a bit deliberately obtuse to me, but on the flipside it's a lot more interesting than some of the more populist lists which have the same two or three popcorn blockbusters of recent years dominating. 2001, though... serious case of Emperor's New Clothes. Some lovely cinematography and a great score, but it's at least an hour too long and deathly dull. I always did find Kubrick hit and miss. Doctor Strangelove was vastly superior.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
. . . 2001, though... serious case of Emperor's New Clothes. Some lovely cinematography and a great score, but it's at least an hour too long and deathly dull. I always did find Kubrick hit and miss. Doctor Strangelove was vastly superior.
I always disliked films with Kubrick's name on them. Nor was I alone. I saw Stephen King at an SF convention in 1983, where someone asked him what he thought of Kubrick's rendition of "The Shining." He said, "I consider I handed Stanley Kubrick a live hand grenade . . . and he heroically threw his body on top of it!"

Then I rented "Eyes Wide Shut." (To watch Nicole Kidman, of course.) And it blew me away. The film has a certain spooky mystery, a peculiar adventure tone, that I didn't expect. Nicole's not even in the movie that much, and I liked it anyway. I'll certainly try some of SK's earlier stuff.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hm I like most of Kubrick's work but agree with Edward on 2001. I fell asleep. Sorry.

I gotta watch more Renoir Flics and other 1930s movies from france :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's pretty close to my favorite Hitchcock film. It's been interesting to watch its evaluation change over the years. I remember being baffled by it when I first saw it at around 13 on NBC Saturday Night at the Movies. Twenty years later - after the critics began talking it up as Hitch's masterpiece - it was a whole other thing. After many viewings, I've really come to love it...

Honestly, the only worth of a list like this is that some folks may make an effort to see these great older films that they'd probably never seek out on their own. (Even with a large consensus, what's the point of naming a "greatest" film? It's just a silly academic exercise.) Of course, that doesn't mean these folks will appreciate the films...

Re 2001: A Space Odyssey, you had to be there back in the 60s/70s to understand what a revelation it was... like many older great films, it requires concentration and patience to appreciate it. (The kind of concentration that was standard for hardcore film buffs back then, in the heyday of Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa, etc.) Virtually nobody of the post-MTV/post-Star Wars generation enjoys it. Today's kids typically find it hopelessly dull and boring... of course, in their continuously-plugged-in world, the very concepts of "concentration" and "patience" hardly even exist anymore.

Edward

Bartender
I always disliked films with Kubrick's name on them. Nor was I alone. I saw Stephen King at an SF convention in 1983, where someone asked him what he thought of Kubrick's rendition of "The Shining." He said, "I consider I handed Stanley Kubrick a live hand grenade . . . and he heroically threw his body on top of it!"

Then I rented "Eyes Wide Shut." (To watch Nicole Kidman, of course.) And it blew me away. The film has a certain spooky mystery, a peculiar adventure tone, that I didn't expect. Nicole's not even in the movie that much, and I liked it anyway. I'll certainly try some of SK's earlier stuff.

lol Kubrick for me is rather hit and miss. I either really like his stuff, or really loathe it - little or no middle ground. Eyes Wide Shut was a surprise to me - I really didn't expect to like it, but it was an entertaining watch and did keep up a certain intensity. Full Metal Jacket is, I think, my favourite of all the Vietnam-set films that came out in a clump in the Eighties (although I know Stone's Platoon is cracked up to be by far the most accurate). Doctor Strangelove is divine. Then there was 2001... The Shining I do enjoy. It helps I saw it before I read the book. I'd have been disappointed had I not, I think. I certainly can see King's point. His main criticism, I believe, was that the film made it look like Jack was evil and going mad, rather than that he was slowly becoming possessed by the lurking evil in the Overlook itself. Book better, but film still entertaining.

The other director who gives me those extremes is David Lynch... I adored Twin Peaks; also liked the film Firewalk With Me. Eraserhead bored me to tears.

Feraud

Bartender
For the better of Kubrick's films I'd recommend his less discussed work like The Killing, Paths of Glory, and Lolita. Let's throw Barry Lyndon in there too.

Those "greatest" lists are fun to read and cannot be taken too seriously.
Being a fan of Vertigo I won't complain about this list. Vertigo might be my favorite film by Hitchcock and performance by Stewart.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think Lawrence of Arabia should be on there, although I don't know all the movies, so I can't tell which one to bump off. I like it more than 2001 though (which is saying a lot for me).

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I like all those pictures -- I count a good number of them as favorites -- but any all-time top ten that doesn't include Casablanca is easily discounted, if not dismissed.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I like all those pictures -- I count a good number of them as favorites -- but any all-time top ten that doesn't include Casablanca is easily discounted, if not dismissed.

I'd love to see the decision making process. I think it's swings and roundabouts. Casablanca would probably top many lists, then there comes a tie when it becomes fashionable to dismiss it as a cliché, so people pick other things.... Cycle of life, n' aw...

Re 2001: A Space Odyssey, you had to be there back in the 60s/70s to understand what a revelation it was... like many older great films, it requires concentration and patience to appreciate it. (The kind of concentration that was standard for hardcore film buffs back then, in the heyday of Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa, etc.) Virtually nobody of the post-MTV/post-Star Wars generation enjoys it. Today's kids typically find it hopelessly dull and boring... of course, in their continuously-plugged-in world, the very concepts of "concentration" and "patience" hardly even exist anymore.

Hey, you can't say I lack patience - I've sat through Plan 9 From Outer Space! ;)

alsendk

A-List Customer
I always liked Vertigo better than citizen Kane, but I am slightly confused about the top ten movies being that old still....but of course I am proud of a danish movie making it at number nine.

There has to be newer movies that deserves to be up there.....without being in position to bring up any qualified film right now.
Do you fellow loungers have suggestions for newer movies to go to the top 10 ?

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I always liked Vertigo better than citizen Kane, but I am slightly confused about the top ten movies being that old still....but of course I am proud of a danish movie making it at number nine.

There has to be newer movies that deserves to be up there.....without being in position right now to bring up any qualified film right now.
Do you fellow loungers have suggestions for newer movies to go to the top 10 ?

I think that the idea is that in order for a movie to be up there, it has to stand the test of time, and the future will tell if more modern movies are included.

That said, WALL-E.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy