Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veteran of WWII's 'Great Escape' dies

Story

I'll Lock Up
Thu Apr 5, 5:06 PM ET

Ian Tapson, one of the last survivors of a team of World War II soldiers who planned and executed a breakout from a German POW camp later immortalized in the film "The Great Escape," has died. He was 84.

Tapson died at Settler's Park, a retirement complex in the coastal town of Port Alfred on March 31, said Wally Vandermeulen, chairman of the Port Alfred branch of the South Africa Air Force Association.

The escape was immortalized in Paul Brickhill's book "The Great Escape" and in the movie of the same title, starring Steve McQueen, James Garner and Richard Attenborough.

Tapson was a lieutenant in the South African Air Force flying Kittyhawk fighter-bombers when his plane was crippled by anti-aircraft fire over Tunisia and he was forced to crash-land. He was captured and was sent to Stalag III prisoner of war camp at Sagan, Silesia, near the Polish border.

Rest of story here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070405/ap_on_re_af/obit_tapson&printer=1

Hondo

One Too Many
There should be a place where all these stories, exploits shouldn’t go unnoticed, I mean long after their passing, records for future generations. Many vets from the greatest generation don’t speak, talk about the past, for what ever reason, but a record of facts, truth speak volumes, and you don’t rely on films. I’m glad to have read about and many others. Honor a vet.
Thanks for the post Story, and to Mr.Tapson R.I.P. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner