Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veteran's Day - Sunday, November 11, 2007

Micawber

A-List Customer
They shall grow not old,
As we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them.

remembrancepoppy.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
I salute all the veterans serving currently. My dad and uncle served in Navy in WW11, 2 brothers in Vietnam, and 4 nephews have been to Iraq with 2 twice, among 6 family serving in every branch currently with 2 just getting out of the service.
Freedom is Never Free!

Nashoba

One Too Many
for all who serve, all who have served and those who will yet make that sacrifice for their country. To all veterans, in a places, in all times, and from all walks of life. May we always remember your sacrifices to your grateful nations.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom."
- Abraham Lincoln

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
I knew a simple soldier boy
Who grinned at life in empty joy,
Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum
With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
He put a bullet through his brain.
No one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
vetsday07.jpg

We have much to be thankful for on this day of worship.

I am thankful for those men and women who served before me and have served since.

My fellow veterans and those still in service, I salute you.

To those who have fallen, we will never forget.
No matter where you lie, your homeland honors your memory today.

Rest in peace.
Nice picture Carter! :rolleyes: lol

Mr. Turner

New in Town
"For more than 200 years, the men and women of our armed forces have defended the United States and continue to keep vigilant watch over our great nation.

Created in 1775, the Army, Continental Navy, and Marines have participated in every war since the American Revolution. Our current air force originated in 1907 as the Aeronautical Division of the Army Signal Corp, and was later named the Army Air Corp, and finally the United States Air Force after World War II.

The dept of gratitude we owe these brave soldiers cannot be measure. With this tribute in song, let us remember those who have fallen, and those who continue to see, we ask that you stand when your or a family member of your's service song is played. Let us also join together in singing the last measures of 'America the Beautiful' at the conclusion of this 'American Heroes' tribute."

That's the narration I provided before our choir sang for my school's Veteran's Day program, thank you Vets.

Edward

Bartender
Emmababy said:
I knew a simple soldier boy
Who grinned at life in empty joy,
Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum
With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
He put a bullet through his brain.
No one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

Where's this one from? Scans like Owen, but doesn't 'feel' like one of his, if you follow.

I pray for the day when we no longer need to pray for war dead and those bereaved by conflict, when as Wilfred Owen put it - "war and the futility or war" is no more.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
At church...

...yesterday, the minister asked all the veterans to stand up, which I did. There were probably 20-30 in a crowd of a 200-300 people -- and this in an area with a large military population.

A few years back almost every man over 30 would have stood up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats