Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Victor Victrola XIV

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Welcome back, max

max the cat said:
lot of good advice here.
From you as well...good to see you posting again.

I would bet that in 1933-39 the swing kids were probably playing their Goodman , Dorsey 78's etc on sometimes 20 year old equipment- purchased used or handed down.so the concept of matching the playback equipment to recording-however correct-and sonically pleasing- probably was a rarity in most depression era homes.(and probably historical revsionism on our part)
In fact, at least till 1935 or so, buying and playing the latest records at home at all was a rarity.

I remeber seeing some ads for British EM Ginn(?) 30s phonos still acoustic w/upright acoustical horn-and British dance band records of the early 30s seem to have a a diminished freq response as though intended for acoustical reproduction.
Know what? It might be due to the mics used in Britain. Ray Noble and some of his fans corresponded in the 60s-70s about his HMV band. Ray recalled that the box or hoop type carbon mic was still standard in British studios even after the US industry went to the ribbon type. Some of the fans theorized that the mic choice was part of the warmer, but narrower spectrum sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo