Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vienna & "The Third Man"

davidraphael

Practically Family
I recently visited Vienna but was keen to avoid the powdered wigs and sugary Mozart industry.
Instead, like Holly Martins from the 1949 classic The Third Man starring Orson Welles and Joseph Cotton, I trawled the city for Harry Lime.

I found quite a few locations, including Harry Lime's home and site of his faked death.

harveyz.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice Job! I would love to see those places in person. I read that they have "Third Man"-themed tours that go down into the sewers and other places. Did you do any of that?

Do you have anymore photos?

davidraphael

Practically Family
Yes, I can upload some more photos soon.

The weird thing about Vienna is that I thought the town would really exploit The Third Man having been filmed there, but there's no mention of it anywhere - no plaques on buildings, no use of it in gift shops, no postcards, t-shirts, posters, nothing. Not even at the Prater Riesenrad (big wheel), which featured prominently in the movie. Quite odd.

In a way this actually made my little quest much more fun; I didn't have to contend with any tourists and so the hunt felt much more personal.

There is a Third Man tour but it's only on a couple of days a week (which just happened to be the only days I wasn't there).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I would imagine it's a time most Austrians would very much prefer to forget. I love that movie, actually saw it on a theater in the early 50s. Like most films, it's better on the big screen. I also love that wonderful theme. The guy who plays it on the zither was barely scraping by playing in lounges and such in Vienna when he was discovered and used in the film. Made him a huge celebrity in Austria ever after.

Rathdown

Practically Family
My uncle lived in Vienna all of his life. At the end of the war Vienna, like Berlin, was divided between the occupying powers and he was in the Russian occupied zone-- and hated Russians with unabated passion until the day he died. It was his opinion that the best behaved troops were the Americans, and as he once said of the behavior of the British and French soldiers, "I had expected better of them..."

Emisario

New in Town
First time writer here, so be please be kind.
I actually live in Vienna, and have been living here for all of my adult life, and I have asked myself the same question. I think you are partly right to say people don't like to remember that time, but another reason is because Austrians consider film to be entertainment, not art. Something to pass the time but actually inconsequential. This sounds very "snobish", but Austria is arguably the world's Mecca for classical music. So who cares about an old movie they once made over here?
Depressing, really

Alles Gute,
Emisario

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Great post! I love Vienna. I've not looked for Third Man locations yet, but thats a good idea for the next trip.

Did you have a chance to visit any of those vintage stores or cafes?

m0nk

One Too Many
I'm actually watching this movie for the first time after seeing this thread. Good so far, although the beginning seemed a tad awkward. I like seeing filming locations though and it's really cool seeing your pics side by side with the movie stills.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Thanks for all the interest in this thread.

Here are some more "Third Man" comparison images.

@chasseur: yes! indeed I did find some nice vintage shops and cafes. The clothes shops were quite expensive though - vintage hats started at around $90. However, vintage stores have much more of a focus on men than anywhere else I've been - whereas in Germany a man is lucky to find a couple of jackets at the back of a 2nd hand store selling mostly women's stuff, Vienna has whole stores just for the guys!

I highly recommend Vienna to anyone with a taste for vintage. Really great city. I thoroughly enjoyed it there.

3rdman1.jpg

3rdman2.jpg

3rdman3.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff