Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE 50s Windward Horsehide Highwayman Style Size 48

Claybertrand

One Too Many
For your consideration, offering this larger sized 50s Windward Horsehide sort of Highwayman style jacket. The original sizing tag present in the left hand warmer pocket is handwritten and appears to be a stated size 48 (the "4" is clear but the "8" is very faint) which is fairly rare for these older vintage jackets. I approximate the fit to fall pretty close to that size meaning unlike almost ALL vintage jackets, this one does NOT run small---I have never found this vintage true to size in this size range. As always, please see all measurements below.

Color is a sort of Chestnut/Reddish Brown (not burgundy/oxblood) featuring its original Talon zippers (main and hoop and chain diagonal chest pocket pull). Horsehide leather is in overall good condition with some normal minimal edge wear and light surface scratches here and there. No holes, flaking, peeling, or anything beyond light surface wear. Huge largely flawless single back panel (no yoke)---(Seriously, I'm not yoking around here!! :cool:) with Action Back/Gussets.

Very very faint discoloring of the liner from doing a little spritz with Febreze (I understand this is water soluble and cleanable) but no damage at all whatsoever---liner is intact and in near perfect shape aside from the faint discoloring. Jacket appears to have originally come with a zip in liner and perhaps a snap in fur collar but neither are present (one or both may have been optional). No odors at all and coming from a Smoke Free and Pet Free household.

I am selling this jacket sadly because its just too big for me. Really cool true vintage in a larger size. See photos below. More info/photos upon request.

Measurements:

Pit to Pit: 26"
Shoulder Seam to Shoulder Seam Across Back: 21" (NOT gusset seam to gusset seam--true shoulder to shoulder seam measurement)
Sleeve Length: 26" (from Shoulder seam STRAIGHT DOWN to end of cuff)
Back Length: 25" (from Collar Seam, down back to bottom hem)
Waist Width: 21.5" (this model has built in elastic in the above the hips areas for added flexibility beyond the 21.5")

Asking $320 Shipped within the U.S. Thanks for looking.

Front View.JPG

Rear View.JPG
Front View Wide Close Up.JPG
Grain Close Up.JPG
Label.JPG
Spread Open.JPG
Talon Main Zip.jpg
Waistline Edge Wear.JPG
Left Sleeve and Cuff Edge Wear.JPG
Liner Slight Discoloration.JPG

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
For your consideration, offering this larger sized 50s Windward Horsehide sort of Highwayman style jacket. The original sizing tag present in the left hand warmer pocket is handwritten and appears to be a stated size 48 (the "4" is clear but the "8" is very faint) which is fairly rare for these older vintage jackets. I approximate the fit to fall pretty close to that size meaning unlike almost ALL vintage jackets, this one does NOT run small---I have never found this vintage true to size in this size range. As always, please see all measurements below.

Color is a sort of Chestnut/Reddish Brown (not burgundy/oxblood) featuring its original Talon zippers (main and hoop and chain diagonal chest pocket pull). Horsehide leather is in overall good condition with some normal minimal edge wear and light surface scratches here and there. No holes, flaking, peeling, or anything beyond light surface wear. Huge largely flawless single back panel (no yoke)---(Seriously, I'm not yoking around here!! :cool:) with Action Back/Gussets.

Very very faint discoloring of the liner from doing a little spritz with Febreze (I understand this is water soluble and cleanable) but no damage at all whatsoever---liner is intact and in near perfect shape aside from the faint discoloring. Jacket appears to have originally come with a zip in liner and perhaps a snap in fur collar but neither are present (one or both may have been optional). No odors at all and coming from a Smoke Free and Pet Free household.

I am selling this jacket sadly because its just too big for me. Really cool true vintage in a larger size. See photos below. More info/photos upon request.

Measurements:

Shoulder Seam to Shoulder Seam Across Back: 21" (NOT gusset seam to gusset seam--true shoulder to shoulder seam measurement)
Waist Width: 21.5" (this model has built in elastic in the above the hips areas for added flexibility beyond the 21.5")

View attachment 217901

View attachment 217902 View attachment 217904 View attachment 217905 View attachment 217906 View attachment 217907 View attachment 217908 View attachment 217909 View attachment 217910 View attachment 217912
Wow, that looks very nice! You don't see large truly vintage sizes like that very often. Just curious what are your measurements, and do you have any fit pics?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Measurements:

View attachment 217901

View attachment 217902 View attachment 217904 View attachment 217905 View attachment 217906 View attachment 217907 View attachment 217908 View attachment 217909 View attachment 217910 View attachment 217912
A very, very nice example of an original Windward HH.
Outstanding!!
B

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Wow, that looks very nice! You don't see large truly vintage sizes like that very often. Just curious what are your measurements, and do you have any fit pics?

Ha!! I am single and don't go to the tailor much these days so my actual body measurements are a mystery to even me!! But I do know my preferred measurements when it comes to jackets. I tend to like things to be a little on the not super snug side. I'm 6'0 about 180 at the moment :eek:. I endeavor to buy mostly true vintage jackets so I have a fit "range". My range is P2P: 23-24", Shoulders 19-20", Sleeve Length 23.5-25", Back Length 25-27".

My back length preference is longer than is generally found on jackets where the other measurements are in my preferred range. I think I have a slightly taller torso and shorter legs and feel I need a little longer jacket to look right. In the pursuit of that Holy Grail Vintage jacket with perfect fit, I ended up going bigger in this case because I loved the jacket. Alas, no fit pics for this one. I felt tiny inside of it with the shoulder and chest width. I was trying to WILL IT to fit me better but after a couple of try ons in my house, I grudgingly hung it up and marked it for release into the wild. You guys know how it goes........:cool:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Wow, this might work. I'm 6'-1", 205 Lbs. to 210 Lbs., and like loose and long fits. I have a couple of jackets with 25" P to P, nothing more than 20" shoulder. I usually have trouble finding something long enough especially in the sleeves and have several jackets that work well with 27" sleeves, but the added shoulder may compensate for the shorter sleeve. Most of my jackets are at least 26", but the short length is more the way they wore them back then. Hmmmm.
Very interested.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Wow, this might work. I'm 6'-1", 205 Lbs. to 210 Lbs., and like loose and long fits. I have a couple of jackets with 25" P to P, nothing more than 20" shoulder. I usually have trouble finding something long enough especially in the sleeves and have several jackets that work well with 27" sleeves, but the added shoulder may compensate for the shorter sleeve. Most of my jackets are at least 26", but the short length is more the way they wore them back then. Hmmmm.
Very interested.

Let me know if you would like any additional information. I always envy your location by the way :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran