Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Ads - Safeguard Your Daintiness!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It didn't hurt a bit!

Honestly! I imagine if I had been putting it on the outside bits, it would have. But there are no nerves up in the cervical area. And I am so grateful that it worked.
I am shocked at the lack of over-the-counter, regular drugstore stuff! I couldn't find deodorant either, finally in the Shanghai #1 Dispensary (gotta love their store names), I found a product labeled "Armpit Odor Remover".:)
Overall, it has been a wild trip so far! Can I say how DISGUSTING the toilets are?:eek: And how difficult it is to squat and wipe at the same time? Especially as I am not terribly lithe.

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
bathrooms in Shanghai

When I was over there I was told to go to nicer hotels and use their restroom facilities, as a westerner I was never questioned. I was told to avoid any of the other public facilities and I listened. ;)

How's the Bund?

OnlyOneAudrey

New in Town
Miss 1929 said:
OK, any guys lurking here should log off RIGHT NOW, as I am about to get personal.
So here I am in Shanghai, China, with a g&%%$*& YEAST INFECTION!
You can't buy over the counter medicine like Monistat here, they do not have it. Only vinegar and water douches, which are fine for prevention but lousy for getting rid of it.
So in desperation, I bethought me of this thread.
Listerine on a tampon will kill a yeast infection in 3 hours. You heard it here first. Antibacterial and antifungal. Worked like a charm!

WOW. So I gotta know...where did you come up with that idea? Internet, wive's tale over there...

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
Listerine on a tampon will kill a yeast infection in 3 hours. You heard it here first. Antibacterial and antifungal. Worked like a charm!
Okay, I gotta know...do you put like a capful on the end of the tampon or do you drench/soak it in the listerine? (never know when its going to come in handy through travels when the OTC isn't available.)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I was just relooking at that ad, trying to find a date...hmmm. I am reading a book published 1953, Lady Be Loved...they have a section regarding douching, and the guy must be ahead of his time, because he warns against anyting other than basically water/baking soda/vinager. Basically he says if its gonna burn your mouth, its gonna burn your insides down there. :eek:

pigeon toe

One Too Many
An all-natural way to cure the yeastie beasties without hurting your cooch is to use plain yogurt with live cultures as a suppository thing. One method I heard of getting it up there is freezing it in a tampon applicator and letting it melt a lil bit (don't wanna freeze yourself!), and then using it.

Apparently it works well and there's no chance it could hurt you. Never had to try it myself though!

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
pigeon toe said:
An all-natural way to cure the yeastie beasties without hurting your cooch is to use plain yogurt with live cultures as a suppository thing. One method I heard of getting it up there is freezing it in a tampon applicator and letting it melt a lil bit (don't wanna freeze yourself!), and then using it.

Apparently it works well and there's no chance it could hurt you. Never had to try it myself though!

I haven't had occasion to try it myself either, but I wouldn't recommend using anything more exotic than yoghurt if at all possible! I've heard of garlic being quite uncomfortable to use.

Miss 1929

Answers to all your questions:

Yes, it worked! In a few hours!
No, it didn't hurt a bit! I wouldn't use it every day, but I see no problem with once in a while.
About a 1/2 teaspoon full on the end of a tampon.
Got the idea from this thread.
Yogurt works great for prevention, but once you have the full-blown infection, it takes too long. I wanted my vacation back! Also, it's not easy to find any dairy products here in China.
And the Bund is looking great! Still a little construction going on, as they are building many underpass tunnels, but the park is lovely. Sadly, the Peace Hotel is closed for renovation, but the "Old Guy Jazz Band" is playing in a Bund restaurant instead.

Miss 1929

But I'm not always near a hotel!

jonniangel said:
When I was over there I was told to go to nicer hotels and use their restroom facilities, as a westerner I was never questioned. I was told to avoid any of the other public facilities and I listened. ;)

How's the Bund?

The train station was particularly nasty. And the factory up in Changzhou not much better. It's partially a business trip, so I am often in odd places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari