Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage B-3 High Altitude Flight Gear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliminator SS

New in Town
Hey guys. I'm new here but have been collecting flight jackets since I was 14 years old. I had the opportunity to purchase from a good family friend an original B-3 High altitude flight gear set. These are original pieces my friends dad got from his best friend. Both were in the war and his friend wanted some Nazi stuff he brought back so they traded. These were in his foot locker for over 60 years. The coat is a rare size 46. The pants, boots and gloves are all XL. The guy was a big guy. I found one small hole in the back left shoulder of the coat. The boots are all there but show wear. The pants were give to him on his last mission and only worn the one time. The gloves I'd rate at excellent used condition. Everything is kind of stiff but not brittle. If I didn't know better I would wear any of it except for maybe the boots.

Anyway regardless of how much I love this set I've had some things come up and need the money out of it. I've been doing my best to find examples for value. There was one on eBay in size 44 with a few holes in it that didn't meet reserve for $1009.00 and a handful of bidders.
I need advice on where to post it for sale and what the value is.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Nice gear, could be rare being USN as they had a lot of their own high altitude clothing.
Would be nice to sell it as a collection as most wearers only want jackets, I dont know how many re-enactors stand around in the sun in all this.
J

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
It is a wonderful set and it appears to be is excellent condition, but the jacket isn't a B-3. Its a M-445A.

AF

Post Edit: Ooops. It is a B-3 (US Air Corps Issued), paired with a M-446a trousers (US Navy issued).

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Are you thinking they aren't really a set then?

No, probably not issued as a set. The B-3 was an AAF jacket and the M-446A trousers was a Navy item.

When I first saw your post I too quickly concluded the jacket was an M-445. This is because the M-455 was the Navy's equivalent to the AAF B-3. They are both heavy, shearling jackets and they look a bit alike. And The M-445 would have been the jacket issued by the Navy to go along with the M-446A trousers. But then I looked at the jacket more closely and noticed the double collar straps...they are the hallmark of the B-3.

All that said, they may have been used as a set. If they came from the same veteran, they most likely were. It certainly would have been possible for an aviator from one branch of service to use an item of outerwear from another branch. AAF pilots wearing tanker jackets is a well-documented example of this sort of thing.

AF

Eliminator SS

New in Town
Well the coat in similar condition that was on eBay didn't meet reserve. Is $2000 too much to put on it as an asking price? I just want to put a fair asking price on it. I don't want to screw myself because I wouldn't be selling it if I didn't need the money but I want to let someone feel like they are getting a fair deal on it too. I wish that other forum would let me register.

Eliminator SS

New in Town
Are you kidding me? This is part of my research! I was recommended to post it on this forum and ask you guys because there are experts on vintage clothing on here. You have allot of nerve to come in here and tell me to go elsewhere.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would value the whole lot at no more than $1000-1200. Commission charged for a more detailed evaluation and this would require more photos to show the details.

Eliminator SS

New in Town
If there is anyone seriously interested in it that will take care of it just send me an offer. I'm getting all kinds of interest from dealers but I don't want it resold. I want someone that will appreciate it to have it. Make an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot