Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage bait tackle

bulldog1935

Suspended
Here's how gentlemen used to dress to fish - everyone except the guide, of course
19XX_327_95A.fishing.1900-20.jpg

I also must believe the guy on the left is the one who caught that big bass.
Around the turn of the last century, and even between the wars, such leisure activities belonged to gentlemen, and not laborers.

Their tackle was also pretty dressy.
Here is a Talbot Niangua (non level wind) bait caster, on a Thomas Special Mahogany-grade bait rod
thomasbc6med1.jpg

and the reel, showing the beautiful ivory handle and benchmade nickel silver, c. 1920
niangua03.jpg

Here's the Shakespeare Style B level-wind, c. 1910
b7.jpg

the level-wind pawl is a sliding pin in the rider that is pushed between two counter-rotating worm gears.

Pflueger's first model Supreme level wind, this one from 1928, sporting a Thomas Bangor rod.
1stSup12.jpg

This reel was silver-plated brass. The level wind rider pushed the line to one side, where one of those cams would lift the line and drop it into the groove of the rider.
1stSup10a.jpg

A lot of people are familiar with the Pfluger Summit, because they continued these in postwar years, and you might find one in your grandfather's tackle box. While the postwar reels were stamped from brass and nickel plated, this prewar version was handmade from nickel silver.
1993pre1.jpg

(OK, I get 3 more photos - I'll try to make them count).
After the war, everybody gets to play and production fishing tackle was in its heyday.
Here's one you may have seen, a (3rd model) Pflueger Supreme on a Steel True Temper rod, made by American Fork and Hoe
supreme.jpg

A Shakespeare Marhoff on a Montague Flash bamboo rod
marhoff.jpg

All of these rods have agate guides and while I was going to show a Heddon Pal glass rod with a Pflueger Skilkast, I think I'll show the agate instead
flash.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner