Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NicolettaRose said:
The revamped suits are super cute! If I didn't have personal qualms against buying repros, I would be all over them.

So, the bottom line about going in the water with something vintage, is it a yes or no? My two piece is made out of 'miracle' yarn, but I am not sure the miracle would hold up with 21st century cholorine...

No way, especially since it's a 2 piece from the 40's and those are very hard to come by, considered collectors items. They really are just meant for show. You should post a pic....I know a lot of us vintage collectors would enjoy seeing such a great piece of history.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
No way, especially since it's a 2 piece from the 40's and those are very hard to come by, considered collectors items. They really are just meant for show. You should post a pic....I know a lot of us vintage collectors would enjoy seeing such a great piece of history.

I want to see a picture too!

I was watching what was described as a 40's playsuit on Ebay recently, but the prices have sky rocketed to $225 dollars! Judging from the photos of 40's two pieces in the other thread, I'm guessing that that's what it really is -- and why it's so gosh darn expensive.

I would never risk ruining such a great piece of fashion history if I were you!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Shoes

l24117.jpg

Look at those darling cork shoes! Plus, they look easy to walk in.

wind2.jpg

Those look comfy too!

And if you want to be daring:
people-legends-inspirational-pride-marilyn-monroe-swimsuit-womens-liberation-femenist-poster-6684871030195.jpg

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
RetroMom said:
OK, so I have the bathing suit. But what do you wear on your feet? I'm not a flip flop kind of gal, and although I would love to wear a pair of those high heeled mules or espadrilles, I have visions of falling on my face:eusa_doh: and I think modern sandals or beach shoes spoil the vintage look, so....
what type of footwear do you wear with your suit to the beach/pool or even just lounging around....

There's lots of flat and low-heeled espadrilles in this shop:
http://espadrillesetc.com/
I plan on getting a pair of the "Rita"s in yellow or navy... but it's hard to decide as there are so many cute styles there.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
NicolettaRose said:
I wear a lot of everyday vintage like everyday clothing, so if something wears out I generally just take that as something normally happens with clothing. Most of of my vintage does not just sit in a closet, so a bathing suit is going to be used. If it shrivels up, I'll just buy another.

i'm with you on this. my vintage doesn't sit in the closet! i do have some pieces that i can only wear once or twice a year, but i do wear some of my 50s/early 60s dresses to work on occasion, and i will wear vintage out to a show. granted, i'm not wearing it every day, but i certainly don't think twice about wearing a 1950s dress out to a rockabilly show. if it's ready to disintegrate, i just won't buy it.

as for swimsuits, obviously it's hard to tell what's going to happen with water and chlorine. i have a vintage 50s suit that i got from Miss Bella Hell and i've worn it hot tubbing with no problems - then again, hot tubbing is maybe an hour and not a day at the beach. i'm just very, very careful to rinse it out well and then give it a good washing when i get home. 30s and 40s suits may be more delicate, but 50s and 60s suits are probably still sturdy enough to withstand the wear.

Miss_Bella_Hell

ShrinkingViolet said:
I plan on getting a pair of the "Rita"s in yellow or navy... but it's hard to decide as there are so many cute styles there.

AWESOME site! A little pricey for some styles...

KittyT - glad to hear you're already getting mileage...who has a hot tub?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
KittyT - glad to hear you're already getting mileage...who has a hot tub?

one of the sponsors of our derby league is a massage and hot tubbing place called Urban Oasis in Inman Sq. we get discounts there and my team always goes hot tubbing there the day after a bout to help reduce our muscle soreness. they have a big hot tub that will fit 10 people - it's very nice. the girls loved the suit... pink is one of my team's colors!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I had a very nice 50s bathing suit that I paid $80.00 for on eBay. Cute
larger-sized suits are hard to come by and always end of costing a lot - so I decided to bite the bullet and just buy one after searching for a cheap suit for years and not finding anything. At any rate, I wore it once in a pool. It was black with white trim and the black faded to an ugly, worn-out looking color. Paying $80 for the suit and ruining it after one wear broke my heart! So be careful with your vintage suits!

Daisy Buchanan

KittyT said:
one of the sponsors of our derby league is a massage and hot tubbing place called Urban Oasis in Inman Sq. we get discounts there and my team always goes hot tubbing there the day after a bout to help reduce our muscle soreness. they have a big hot tub that will fit 10 people - it's very nice. the girls loved the suit... pink is one of my team's colors!
Well, now I sure am glad you joined the lounge. I live in Allston, not far from Inman SQ. But a little drive is worth a hot tub!!!!
But really, it is nice to see another Bostonian here at the lounge. We will surely have to have a get together:)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Washing a vintage bathing suit?

I am going to a pool party next weekend, and I got this cute 1940's vintage two piece, but I really want to wash it for hygenic before I wear it, do you recommend hand washing, machine washing, or dry cleaning? Its made out of synthetic yarn called lastex.

Grace

Vendor
Lastex is rubber wrapped in another fiber, so how you clean it depends on what the other fiber is.

I always recommend hand washing in cold water with gentle detergent (try Lux soap flakes).

Daisy Buchanan

Hello Ladies,

Well, swimsuit season is fast approaching and I just wanted to let y'all know that once again Newport News has some very cute vintage-y swim suits. Check out some of the "swim dresses" they have. I really like the idea of covering up my upper thighs and tooshy. It's funny, I used to look at these kind of suits and think of my granny, now I look at them and think of the 40's and 50's, they're great.
Sadly, 2 summers ago I bought up a bunch of really cute bikini's. They were all so cheap because it was the end of the season. But, my body's quite different now, and skimpy string bikini's just aren't gonna work for me. I thought I'd keep them around for motivation, but if anything, they just make me mad. Anyway, I'm in the market for some "swimable" suits, since I don't want to go into the water in my vintage ones. Although I am looking forward to putting on my Schiaparelli swim dress and laying out on the deck, decked to the nines, in front of my very cute new single neighbor:D

Well, check out Newport News. They have marked down quite a few of their suits, so on top of being cute, they are reasonable too.

Has anybody seen the Stop Staring swim suit that they are selling at Daddyo's. I was just wondering about how it fits, it is very cute and so are some of the play suits/sailor type outfits they have.

Daisy Buchanan

I think there is some info on the other bathing suit thread about this. But, I know we have talked about how fragile our vintage suits are. I hope that you wouldn't put anything this fragile into a washing machine. You shouldn't be putting modern suits in the wash, let alone a vintage one that could be a collectors item.
Dry cleaning would be dangerous too. The materials would not be able to withstand the heat of dry cleaning. I don't even think a dry cleaner would do it for you.
You need to hand wash your suits, be them vintage or modern, in cold water. IMO, Woolite is what I use for mine and I have never had a problem. It's quite gentle and innocuous. Lay them flat to dry, I personally don't hang mine because this stretches them out and causes them to become misshapen.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I have had bad experiences with dry cleaners. Save for a few vintage dresses that need special pleating or treatment I hand wash most my stuff. I would also recommend hand washing.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
RE: Newport News

The Surplice suits are cute but a little too high up the thigh to be vintagey for me. :)

However, I did like this one:

S0604002_G107_003.jpg

Thanks Daisy!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
***Merged Threads***

Please, if it something that pertains to a thread that is already started, simply add to the thread!

That is all we ask.

LD

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
OH MY GOD

ShrinkingViolet said:

This site is the mother load. Where was this about a week ago. I will be getting some from here, wish they were a little cheaper.
zandra.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

Daisy Buchanan said:
Hello Ladies,

Has anybody seen the Stop Staring swim suit that they are selling at Daddyo's. I was just wondering about how it fits, it is very cute and so are some of the play suits/sailor type outfits they have.

Yes! My friend bought it a few years back at Viva, and it looked FABULOUS on her. She was about 5'5", size 14, and it made her look amazing. She bought it in black. I loved it!

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
I have a wonderful photo of my Grandmother with some of her sisters (she came from a big family!) on the shores of Lake Winnipeg. I don't know when the photo was taken, but the hair makes me think 40s? rather than 50s? My grandma was married and having children in the 50s, so I think this was taken before then too. There's some 2 piece suits in the mix:

Beauties of Lake Winnipeg. I think they look cold!

My grandma is the one on the far right.

Jen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick