Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

laurakitty

Familiar Face
KittyT said:
I tried on one of these suits yesterday at Macy's. HOLY COW. This swimsuit is amazing! Very, very flattering, and I love the way the ruched skirt comes down further over the bum and can be pulled down in front. I wish I had $160 for this suit :(

This is a really old post, but that swimsuit is on sale on VictoriasSecret.com for $125. Your review was so good I might order one! I have to check their return policy first, but I love the cut.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I forgot to share a suit I got at Macy's (kenneth cole) about a year ago---here are some beach pics with my beau--we ended up recreating a photo of his grandparents doing the same thing about 60 years ago---

DSC_0075.jpg

AndrewandAliceBrownontheBeach.jpg
(original grandparents)

DSC_0185.jpg
(recreation--the top can easily be converted into a bikini style top with the bottom as a skirt)

Cricket

Practically Family
laurakitty said:
jantzen.jpg

Has anyone seen a repro like this? It's so gorgeous! I need it!

Beautiful swim suit, but I do have to make one comment.
The trunks on the male...I don't see my husband ever trying to find a pair of those. The cross-like side view may not be too much for himlol
I think trying to introduce vintage to him may not go over as well if I were to pull those babies out.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Cricket said:
Beautiful swim suit, but I do have to make one comment.
The trunks on the male...I don't see my husband ever trying to find a pair of those. The cross-like side view may not be too much for himlol
I think trying to introduce vintage to him may not go over as well if I were to pull those babies out.

Honey, if your pipe-smoking beau who wears trunks with cut-outs on the sides has his eye on another man, your swimsuit won't help. He's gay. That's the point of this ad, right? lol
http://jezebel.com/5135575/boys-will-be-boys

Cricket

Practically Family
sixsexsix said:
Honey, if your pipe-smoking beau who wears trunks with cut-outs on the sides has his eye on another man, your swimsuit won't help. He's gay. That's the point of this ad, right? lol
http://jezebel.com/5135575/boys-will-be-boys

I got the whole poolboy thing but looking aside from that...i just imagined my husband coming out on the beach in those things.
I think I might try to find some to wrap up for a gag gift. I would love to see the expression on his face. :p

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
41lVvlVklpL._AA260_.jpg

I haven't worn a suit in 10+ years. Might give this Target suit a go. Price is right.

This Target suit is pretty much an exact replica of the Carmen Marc Valvo one! Just wish they had it in better colors though. Target also has another Merona brand dress in black that looks nice. One of the things I like about it is that the skirted bottom goes all the way around the back :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
That Target suit is cute and they have larger sizes, but I agree with KittyT--wish they had better colors/patterns.

I've got to get a new suit this year--my old one is rapidly giving up the ghost--but I'm so cheap! Even the $40 Target model seems spendy to me. But my last suit lasted a decade, so that's $4 a year for the Target one, $8 a year for an Esther Williams. Perhaps that'll make me feel better?

PS

A-List Customer
I went ahead and ordered it last night. I found a code online (i never shop w/o one). I'll let you know how it works out. Man I do wish there were other colors!
Kitty,
I like the black but this one has a cute little tie on the back.

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I ordered the purple Target bathing suit several weeks ago, but it's back ordered. Should be coming in within a month or so.
I also ordered the red one...http://www.target.com/Merona-Bandeau-Shirred-One-Piece/dp/B001JA2EP4/qid=1237317101/ref=br_1_10/175-3028446-2947300?ie=UTF8&node=13706071&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1
Just got it today, and it's really cute on. It's really well made, and since I had some left over gift cards they were $25 each with free shipping and a 10% off promo.
I'm a student so I was glad to finally find a retro style suit at a price point I can afford.

PS

A-List Customer
LOL! I can't believe I forgot to review this suit! Geez....
I like it, on the hanger. Not on me so much.
Doesn't support my bust at all its a basic suit underneath the ruching. Read "basic suit" as dance leotard. No shaping or support anywhere in it. I felt like it took some of my soft lower belly (loose skin from pregnancies) and pushed it up to my waist, giving me a really thick waist, a rumpled one at that. The style and price are just perfect but the suit didn't live up to expectations.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lau Mo said:
I ordered the purple Target bathing suit several weeks ago, but it's back ordered. Should be coming in within a month or so.
I also ordered the red one...http://www.target.com/Merona-Bandeau-Shirred-One-Piece/dp/B001JA2EP4/qid=1237317101/ref=br_1_10/175-3028446-2947300?ie=UTF8&node=13706071&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1
Just got it today, and it's really cute on. It's really well made, and since I had some left over gift cards they were $25 each with free shipping and a 10% off promo.
I'm a student so I was glad to finally find a retro style suit at a price point I can afford.

This is very, VERY cute! Grr, Target doesnt ship abroad!

PS

A-List Customer
Anyone who wears a Medium, I just posted that Merona suit in the Classifieds. I tried it on again and realized I just think the Medium is too big for me so up it goes. :)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
That Target suit is cute. The color is better than my Newport News suit which is made the same. My suit is lilac which isn't flattering on me. Macy's also has that suit (Jantzen) for about 100.00 in brown and bright pink.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
PS said:
Anyone who wears a Medium, I just posted that Merona suit in the Classifieds. I tried it on again and realized I just think the Medium is too big for me so up it goes. :)

Darnit! According to Targets size chart I am a small .. :cry:

PS

A-List Customer
Dahling,
Thats my problem too. I am a 6-8 so I am afraid the 4-6 will just be a smidgen too small. I tried the suit on and pulled up all the rouching, because its not attached and found that it was saggy all over. I am bummed its back ordered.

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
PS, I feared the same thing, but I ordered down instead and got the small. It's a little hard to get the suit up, but once it's on it's perfect. I always tend to buy my suits a little small anyway, to allow for the eventual stretching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou