Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage belly dancing anyone?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Here is a nice compilation of belly dancers from back in the day.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8qwiorV-a6I&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8qwiorV-a6I&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Marie Anne do you still have this link and can you repost? thanks

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I would be delighted to Land-O-LakesGal. [video=youtube;8qwiorV-a6I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qwiorV-a6I[/video]

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hi ladies!
I too belly dance, and have taken lessons over the past eight years or so. Love it! Will check out the posted videos later.
X
BD

pinup2.jpg

pinupearlmoran1952.jpg

Last edited:

Opal

New in Town
How neat! I didn't realize there were other belly dancers here! That's one of my favorite videos on youtube. I became interested in bd watching those movies as a kid. I wanted to be Ginger Rogers or Samia Gamal when I grew up. Unfortunately, I got to be neither. Oh well.

Rosie Main

New in Town
I took belly dancing lessons for quite some time. I did a tribal style, its a little different than the cabaret style shown in the video.

Awesome video though. Its so cool to see old videos of such an art.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Yeay! Let us know how you like it. I'm in between lessons at the moment. :(
X
BD

Ok First lesson last night. I felt so uncoordinated I just keep reminding myself that I wasn't so hot when I first started swing dancing either it took 6 months or more for it to feel natural. I assume it will be the same with belly dancing. I do like it if only I didn't feel so silly. Ok here I go to practice my shimmy shaka shaka shaka

Mumette

New in Town
I've always wanted to learn but I can't dance :( I have no rhythm, but I love to watch! I love how belly dancing is supposed to be so quietly sensual without being over the top risqué. It's like a private wink between lovers. :)

HepKitty

One Too Many
haha we all feel miserably uncoordinated and feel silly at first but don't even worry about about it. You'll be just fine, you already know to keep at it :)

HepKitty

One Too Many
I've always wanted to learn but I can't dance :( I have no rhythm, but I love to watch! I love how belly dancing is supposed to be so quietly sensual without being over the top risqué. It's like a private wink between lovers. :)

That's why you follow the drums :)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Ok First lesson last night. I felt so uncoordinated I just keep reminding myself that I wasn't so hot when I first started swing dancing either it took 6 months or more for it to feel natural. I assume it will be the same with belly dancing. I do like it if only I didn't feel so silly. Ok here I go to practice my shimmy shaka shaka shaka

I am pleased you liked it! It does take a while for things to start to flow, and even now I sometimes lose the plot with things. I actually took some beginner classes at the end of last year again because all of a sudden my body forgot how to do something that I learned in my first week! And I can guarantee that you will find it quite natural to do some moves that some really experienced dancers struggle with, and that there will be some things that look easy that will make you grind your teeth in frustration for weeks until it clicks.

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
I'm delightfully suprised to see there are people who love both vintage and bellydancing. I was kind of afraid it might be considered "improper" to some of the ladies hear (glad to see I'm wrong). I've only recently started taking bellydancing classes (tribal style). However, I've been watching these women for a while now. I envy the grace a lot of them have (just like the ladies back then :) ).

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Yup - 2 hours of classes a week, and an extra 2 hour practice session with a dance buddy every second or third week. I feel a bit lost if I don't get to my classes! I would probably have gone postal by now without them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred