Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage brands

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Can someone give me some information regarding the 'pecking order' of vintage 1930's - 40's clothing brands?

I assume Brooks Brothers etc. represented the highend, were as Macys and Bullocks were more mainstream and I suppose Sears etc outfitted the majority of Americans. I assume the truly highend pieces were custom made by individual tailors and small houses.

How did it work back then? Was it similar to today, where you have certain designers at the top (Armani etc) and then work your way down from there? (although I must say that many of the current designer brands leave a lot to be desired....)

Thanks in advance.

Robert Conway

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm certainly no expert, but aside from the major brands: Brooks Bros, Hart Shaffner and Marx, major department stores, etc, mostly what I've seen (and what I own) come from various men's shops from around the US. Privately owned stores, who at the very least affixed their own label to the suits.
flat-top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner