Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage caps

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
SHORPY-GN-Nash-2.jpg

I realize the driver in this photo is wearing a felt hat rather than a cap, but it was the truck in Blackthorn's post above that caught my attention.

W2yqSMD.jpg

Same year, 1919; same model of truck, built for hauling goods rather than water. Having driven a number of trucks over the years, and having made that drive a number of times, I can't imagine a round trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles in one of these was particularly comfortable or fun, but it must surely have been better and faster than the same trip made in a horse-drawn vehicle.

I would say they are selling apples and apple juice....any kind of brandy or whiskey would not just be sold on the street like that.....TAXES would have to be paid and sales even at that time would be regulated.....
M
Blackthorn said the pic comes from a documentary on Prohibition. In the rural regions & small towns where I came from homebrew Whiskey was openly sold during that time & for yrs after when we still had "Blue Laws". We always had Applejack & corn whiskey fermenting at the house. Some people made potato whiskey but I don't have any experience with that. A boy learned to drink at a young age. And no one came around to collect taxes either.

Blackthorn said the pic comes from a documentary on Prohibition. In the rural regions & small towns where I came from homebrew Whiskey was openly sold during that time & for yrs after when we still had "Blue Laws". We always had Applejack & corn whiskey fermenting at the house. Some people made potato whiskey but I don't have any experience with that. A boy learned to drink at a young age. And no one came around to collect taxes either.
I know it came for a "documentary", but they are notorious at having the wrong images (and misidentified ). Look at the cloudiness of the beverage as well as the fact of lack of adult men surrounding the wagon. Not many whiskey dealers would be selling apples too.......the only other reason for the bushels of apples was to fresh press them.....takes a bit of time for fermentation and not generally done at the point of sale...

I know it came for a "documentary", but they are notorious at having the wrong images (and misidentified ). Look at the cloudiness of the beverage as well as the fact of lack of adult men surrounding the wagon. Not many whiskey dealers would be selling apples too.......the only other reason for the bushels of apples was to fresh press them.....takes a bit of time for fermentation and not generally done at the point of sale...
+1 Stock images don't always translate without the context of the narrative. And yes, incorrect images are often used in documentaries, gets me steaming every time.

LOL...your eyes are certainly better than mine if you can see that from this pic. And besides chill filtering hadn't come to be yet. Corn whisky was but fruit whiskeys were never clear.
ONLY if it is cold does unfiltered whiskey become cloudy. I have friends who still do it the old way, and their corn is in fact clear. ALL distilled whiskies, brandies etc are in fact clear. They get their coloring from the barrels they are stored in.
Nice article here....https://www.eater.com/2016/1/4/10672224/distilling-how-does-it-work
M
PS I have MANY bottles of UN-chill filtered Scotch. Not cloudy at all unless they get cold. http://www.whiskyforeveryone.com/whisky_basics/chill_filtration.html
PS PS Chill Filtering is NOT a good thing. Just removes tannin's and oils that help give the whiskey flavor for "Looks" .

Last edited:
Yeah, kind of what I said.
I know exactly what you meant about the drum magazine. They are heavy!!!! Was not questioning you in the least.
It just made me look and notice that it did not have even a stick magazine.....I thought that interesting. I suppose even those 20 rounds would be to heavy for that grip...;)
I wonder if he was saying "Bang...Bang............Bbbbbbbbbbang"!!!!
M

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24